2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: more longnecks

more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13585

I went out yesterday afternoon to plant some stratified seed (only my second year planting stratified) and after I got done planting that area that I had in mind I ventured up the hill and ended up digging a few. I knew this place held some ginseng, but not a whole lot of it. The last 2 plants that I dug greatly surprised me. I have known the location of these 2 for several years, but passed on digging them because the tops were a little on the small side. Turns out they both were older plants with nice long necks. I've dug bigger ones, but those long necks always put a smile on my face.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13587

nice 5

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13588

Those are real nice. Thanks for the pics!

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13596

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I like to get the old ones to 5 way to go,Man im excited about your visit,I got you message after church looking forward to getting out together and rounding up a bunch or two :)

Billy.

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13672

Chief, bglong - Thanks guys

Billy, Thanks I haven't gotten out near as much as I would have liked to this fall and am really looking foreward to putting everything else to the side for a couple of days and hanging out with good people enjoying God's great creation.:side:

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13675

hope you have a good time and good luck on your next outing 5

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13679

Nice 5 !

Those look to be in the 20-25 year old range to me.

I would put those in my keeper pile.

TNhunter

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13681

I have been diggin roots for 3 years now and have made a few bucks, not getting rich but adding a few bucks to the income. I stil have not found any seng at all in the area that I live in. I have limeted access to land to hunt on, so I have decided that the best thing to do is go and plant my own! In the spring I should have close to 1,000 plants. it should be about half from seed and the other half from 1 and 2 yr. old rootlets. Also working on growing Black cohosh, Goldenseal, Virginia Snakeroot, Bloodroot and Star Grass. I figure I can help put some back in woods and maybe make a few bucks from seeds and root stock. I know some places where ginseng grows, but it is on state owned hunting land and I am not about digging it there. I have found patches it the woods there that I would estimate to be 50 to 60 yrs old, maybe more? If I get back up there while hunting some squirrels I will take some pics if they still there and post them. The info that I have got from the posts on here about planting ginseng have been very helpful. Thanks to all.

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13684

Nice longnecks 5! It's always a treat to find those old roots....

Here are a couple I found today, The one on the left was a very deep root. I thought I would never find the end of it before breaking it.

Randy
Attachments:

Re:more longnecks 12 years 6 months ago #13694

Way to go 5. I got a few in the 30 year old range yeserday too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 141 guests and no members online

Login