2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: INDIANA OPENER

INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12502

• BeastMaster
  • BeastMaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Get Rich Growing 'Seng in Your Own Woods !
Rain finally came, but still dry 1/2\" down in extreme southeast Indiana. The roots shown were found in a few minutes. I didn't have a lot of time, so I dug these for transplant and called it a day.

Heat index just over 100F the first half of this holiday weekend, then rain, then cooler as the week progresses.
Spose to be highs in the 70s this week, so it'll be better huntin' weather.

*I'd like to get set up to buy root next season, but,,I don't think there's enough dug in a 50 mi. radius of me to make it worth the effort.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12503

• BeastMaster
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More of the same roots.
Attachments:

Re:INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12504

• BeastMaster
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Now boys & girls...this is as about as good as it gets in at least the southeast 1/4 of IN. where I've hunted. The 3 prong shown has a stem/stalk not even as thick as a pencil lead (ok, maybe barely) but...the neck scars in the previous pics show that it's umpteen years old. Even good 2 prongers can and often are over 10 yrs. old. So..the 3 prong w/ berries law is, well...not really well rooted (couldn't resist that one !)
:P
Attachments:

Re:INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12533

Nice old roots. Good luck to you

Re:INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12542

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Those are some nice roots I realy like the old one with the double bulb a man has to know his area and it seems to me that you do,it realy doesnt matter when it comes time to sell the root just how big the steam and top where that the root was attached to,what matters is that it was mature and old enough to harvest I understand what you are saying in your area,

Billy.

Re:INDIANA OPENER 12 years 6 months ago #12547

• BeastMaster
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I've found a 4 prong only a cpl. of times in my life. Once, a 3 prong that was an honest 3 feet off the ground, but had just an avg. root. Other than that, I've noticed 'seng here tends to be low to the ground and often the stalk grows sideways, like Virginia Creeper, before the leaves of ea. prong point up at the sky. Then, the entire plant is only a few inches off the ground. I've trained my eye here to look BELOW the leaves of other plants, not knee high.

**Cool today along the Ohio River Valley where I live. Over-cast and a high of 70 !! Good day to git in tha woods. Alas...the storm left a tree limb across my driveway so I have a date with Stihl, then takin' the pup dove huntin' this afternoon as it's not long till duck season (so it seems) and she needs the field work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 367 guests and no members online

Login