2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33280

Hillhopper wrote:

Hawk84,
If that fella hasnt the personality to answer calls on a consistent basis he should take some lessons from NCSmokiesanger's dealer and somehow post his prices. Sounds like it may be best for business since he has the potential to run off sellers.

Hillhopper

yeah that sounds like a good idea, i can see how it could get irritating.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33281

BCastle wrote:

BCastle wrote:

I asked an easy question and you lost your mind. So be it. Just another digger who knows it all.

...too bad really.

\"just another digger\" all of us lowley diggers should bow before the great buyer. One day you will learn your no better than the rest us. Until that day i feel sorry for you.

Clayton

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33282

You know Hawk, the first thing you didn't get was that I was not talking specifically to you. However, apparently that boot fit as you took it upon yourself to lace up that ***** and wear it out. Then you proceeded to tell me about me....as if you have a clue. You clearly don't understand what I'm talking about, so don't try to tell me what I mean.

Next, I am not at all putting down diggers. Nor have I.

When I say just another teenager who knows it all...that doesn't mean I'm putting down teenagers in general, just pointing out an observable trend in a specific individual.

Let me ask another question. When you need glasses, do you go to the mechanic on the corner? Or, would you rather go to the optometrist? The difference is not which one is a better person or feels \"greater\" than the other. The issue is that one makes his living making eye glasses and the other (likely very accomplished in his own technical skill) works on something no where related to glasses.

In case I lost you there, let me explain. The trend among many of the diggers (certainly not all) here on the forum is to suggest that dealers are artificially keeping prices low in an effort to scare diggers into selling ginseng which has a very high value (in their personal opinions) for a very low price. The underlying tone is that dealers are somehow trying to cheat diggers by effectively committing a fraud and conspiracy which includes most every dealer in every state. From that position, they are suggesting that anything said by a dealer in caution referencing the market is therefore obviously an intentional lie.

But, who should you trust more to give advice about the ginseng market? A digger who has nothing but rumor and speculation, or a dealer who has contacts and makes his living buying and selling ginseng in that same market?

The thing most folks don't understand is that the dealers make more money in a good advancing market. I would much rather be paying $1000 a pound right now. As it is, the dealers are the only ones losing money right now. If a digger gets $200 a pound that is nearly all profit. Many dealers right now are barely breaking even or facing losses. You see Hawk, we make money buying AND selling. If the price is high we sell high. If the price is low, we sell low. Our margin is normally similar, but a little better in high price years. This year is worse than a normally low year. The margins just aren't there for us this year.

If you feel like I'm picking on you...I'm sorry. But remember, you were the one coming out of the gate all confrontational toward me.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33283

I think what most people are forgetting is that the last 2 years prices have been way above normal.
Now if you get back to what the average price has been in KY. over the past few years $500 a lb. is not all that bad. The high prices that were paid last year has spoiled us.
Holding seng over until next year is illegal and probably hurt sells in the long run. Why?
Think about it. Would you want to eat something that's been in the freezer for a year. So this effects the taste and quality and yes the market with undesirable roots.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33284

BCastle wrote:

You know Hawk, the first thing you didn't get was that I was not talking specifically to you. However, apparently that boot fit as you took it upon yourself to lace up that ***** and wear it out. Then you proceeded to tell me about me....as if you have a clue. You clearly don't understand what I'm talking about, so don't try to tell me what I mean.

Next, I am not at all putting down diggers. Nor have I.

When I say just another teenager who knows it all...that doesn't mean I'm putting down teenagers in general, just pointing out an observable trend in a specific individual.

Let me ask another question. When you need glasses, do you go to the mechanic on the corner? Or, would you rather go to the optometrist? The difference is not which one is a better person or feels \"greater\" than the other. The issue is that one makes his living making eye glasses and the other (likely very accomplished in his own technical skill) works on something no where related to glasses.

In case I lost you there, let me explain. The trend among many of the diggers (certainly not all) here on the forum is to suggest that dealers are artificially keeping prices low in an effort to scare diggers into selling ginseng which has a very high value (in their personal opinions) for a very low price. The underlying tone is that dealers are somehow trying to cheat diggers by effectively committing a fraud and conspiracy which includes most every dealer in every state. From that position, they are suggesting that anything said by a dealer in caution referencing the market is therefore obviously an intentional lie.

But, who should you trust more to give advice about the ginseng market? A digger who has nothing but rumor and speculation, or a dealer who has contacts and makes his living buying and selling ginseng in that same market?

The thing most folks don't understand is that the dealers make more money in a good advancing market. I would much rather be paying $1000 a pound right now. As it is, the dealers are the only ones losing money right now. If a digger gets $200 a pound that is nearly all profit. Many dealers right now are barely breaking even or facing losses. You see Hawk, we make money buying AND selling. If the price is high we sell high. If the price is low, we sell low. Our margin is normally similar, but a little better in high price years. This year is worse than a normally low year. The margins just aren't there for us this year.

If you feel like I'm picking on you...I'm sorry. But remember, you were the one coming out of the gate all confrontational toward me.

kinda seemned as if you were talking to me, and correct me if im wrong, nothing about Dealers being crooks was on this topic. Regardless you may not realize this but the way you talk to people can easliy be taken as you beleive your better. Which is why when you left the comment i replied as i did.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33290

this sounds like really good news that people are repeatedly calling for prices, it means they aren't selling and this will hopefully increase demand for our sang...

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33292

Ummm...don't you think that the next step might be to realize there is a lot of ginseng still out there, maybe better quality, and therefore the market would stay low or even go lower?

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33296

BCastle wrote:

Ummm...don't you think that the next step might be to realize there is a lot of ginseng still out there, maybe better quality, and therefore the market would stay low or even go lower?

I don't know if I agree with you there. If the green supply dries up, and most folks are holding their dry , why would the price remain low if there are still buyers out there wanting ginseng? My thinking is that this scenario would cause prices to rise in an attempt to stimulate people into selling. Now if there were no buyers whatsoever, I could see prices remaining the same or even falling.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33298

Well, I think if the current situation is that a lot of diggers are calling dealers, which indicates they have ginseng to sell, wouldn't the next logical step be to assume that at some point all that ginseng will hit the market? Remember, it is illegal to hold ginseng over unless it is certified, and most states only allow dealers to certify.

I guess I'm just thinking if this was some sort of artificial market situation (even though it is real at the US dealer level), the top level traders would have no incentive to start raising prices now. They just aren't buying much if anything at this point and are only buying bargains at that.

Re:Kentucky prices dry 10/13/14 9 years 5 months ago #33301

how do they know its a bargain?

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 445 guests and no members online

Login