2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers?

Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30172

Just wondering if anyone has sold any ginseng to any West Virginia dealers and what the buying prices were?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30827

9 days and only crickets chirping in wva?
650 views no replys?
Bump to top of thread, im interested in price also.
oh welcome to the forum cheapshot, :P

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30828

Deleted.

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30834

I haven't spoke with him, but you could check with Doves in Petersburg. I have not dealt with him in a few years only because I haven't dug or sold anything. The guy from A.O. show is Tony Coffman- he is in birch river, on the show he seemed to pay pretty good I thought. I have to wonder if that was only due the show? I had never heard of any one paying over 500.00 per pound for Green seng?

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30836

I dug 7lbs. green the first week of season, I called several dealers here in WV including Coffman. Coffman was paying the most at $200/lb. for quality roots. Quite a few that I contacted on the current dealers list for WV simply stated they were not buying this year. The lowest price I came across was $140/lb. I still have mine in the fridge in bottom tray(its full)and it still looks fresh as the days that I dug it but I think I will start the drying process this coming week.

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30862

Must be nice be able to dig that much in the first week where I live you able to dig a pound dry all season u doing pretty good

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30869

Sengster,

Did you happen to call Tyler Outdoor Supply in Middlebourne? I have been away working and was wondering what he was paying this year.

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30955

Tyler, I did call Tyler outdoors as that would be the closet dealer to my locality. I believe they were paying $160 to $180.

I stated earlier that I had dug 7+lbs. of green roots the first week but now I have no place left to hunt. I went to a couple places this week that I have hunted for 20 years and ended up finding fresh holes & tops everywhere. It was very disappointing to say the least as I have dug these woods with my father since I was a child and never before had to worry about anyone getting there before us. I have always saved these places for the second to third week because the area seems to hold tops a lot longer than some of the other places I dig. The place I dug the 7 lbs the first week had a good top on only roughly 1/4 of the plants. You would find a nice plant and look around and find several more stems with prongs but no leaves or berries. The plants were green as can be with bright red berries in the woods where someone had \"poached\" the ginseng. I did find about 20 to 25 stalks that got overlooked by the poachers but by the looks of the devastation that was left I would estimate they dug 5+ lbs. from the one woods alone. The other woods had no ginseng and no fresh tops but had been one of my most productive areas. There were holes everywhere that were somewhat filled in from the rain and weather and I figured from what I seen that it had been harvested well before season began. I would say It was taken in early Aug by my estimate. I just hope the berries were ripened and that the digger was a good stewart and knew what he/they were doing and replanted the seeds properly.

I think the false information on the TV show has everybody out looking to cash in. I seen where someone defended the TV show and stated the editors changed it from $1200 a pound dry to $1200 a pound green. I don't think this was the case because Coffman paid the Kentucky guy something like 12,000 for 10 lbs. or so the day after he supposedly dug it when he was left in the woods by the WV guide(canoe dude). I don't think he dried it overnight lol. I think this was a ploy by the dealers to get more folks into the woods to increase the supply and their(the dealers) overall profits.

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30959

Here's for the folks that like pictures

Re:Anyone have 2014 prices from West Virginia dealers? 9 years 6 months ago #30961

Well I guess I can't figure out how to add pictures to the site, I am a newbie to this site.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 542 guests and no members online

Login