2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one

Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 8 months ago #1490

• bristowboy
  • bristowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ive heard all kinds of people say that the older, larger roots are worth quite a bit more than the *regular* sized roots. Could someone explain this to me? I cannot find any price comparisons at all. Even after someone says the bigger roots are worth more, They still imply that its all worth the same by saying something like $400 per lb. That doesnt tell me how much the big high quality roots are worth. Like how much would a single large root be worth that was at least 50 years old?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 8 months ago #1494

• Randy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Most of ths time ,dealers will pay a preminum of only 10.00 or fifteen dollars a pound more. Their are a few who buy older roots and pay fair prices for them on this board and some get good prices on Ebay. A typical 50 year old root that weighs two or more ounces green should bring at least 75.00 dollars. The best prices for these rare roots are sold green. All this depends on the price for sang this year. Look on this board under old ginseng roots. Their are a few who buy dry or green. I hope this helps. Only about three more weeks till open season.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 8 months ago #1495

Unfortunately many of the dealers buy the sang, sell them to the next guy who puts them all in a big barrel off to Hong Kong. So, if you have a nice old one, it's in the barrel somewhere crushed up among the rest of 'em. I don't know the market price for a large dried 50 year old sang, all I know is that I bought a lot from one dealer in Wisconsin for $50 a piece when regular ginseng prices were running at 1000/lb. Then I stopped buying cause he came up with so many. I like green sang cause I can dry them myself, which at least I know it's clean and proper. So there is some premium there. The Koreans seem to like green sang more than dry.

There are two kinds of weird prices out there. One is the \"this stuff is worth millions in Asia\" price being asked by a seller, and the \"this crap ain't worth dirt, I'll give you $250/lb\" by a dealer. I believe it's somewhere in between, at whatever price that makes both the buyer and seller happy.

I will be buying sang this year, at least 100 above market price for older stuff from states like NY. The problem is that people still send regular stuff expecting premium, and so I have to quote low, and pay well for the good stuff upon examination. The other dealers are smarter to offer near market prices, and they invariably will get older sang, which many just...stuff them in the barrel.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 8 months ago #1500

Jeff, where are you in NY? I'm in Vt if you interested in buying from me and my partner let me know I'll get you my email and we'll talk as the season progresses.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1665

• Paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I too am in Vermont, and hunt the big old ones that are still found here and in NY. I will have some increadible green and dry roots for sale very soon on ebay and I'll put them on here too. One is up to 100 years old, others about 60-70 years no joke.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1668

Paul, I'd appreciate a note from you on the older roots. Thanks.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1686

Hi Jeff, I sent you an e-mail about the old roots.

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1690

Hey Paul could you look at my posting and give me your opinion on the last two pics

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1692

sure where do i find the pics

Re:Question about OLD roots Please I need help with this one 14 years 7 months ago #1693

Lonnie, If you mean the last two pics on the I need help with identification post, then I would say this, I see you started your pics with virgina creeper, sometimes it can in rare circumstances look very close to ginseng. virgina creeper grows in a vine form near sunlight, ginseng grows in deep shade in individual plant form. Dig the plant in the last pic, If you find a root it is ginseng, if there is ever a stem to anouther plant at ground level its virgina creeper. Hope this helped

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 464 guests and no members online

Login