2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY????????????????

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14742

Billy wrote:

Rootman to answer your question in my opinion. I think wild ginseng should sell for no less than $500:00 a pound and from their to$600:00 dry and no less than $144:00 a pound wet. I remember for years that if ginseng got to $450:00 the old timers where very happy one year it went to $550:00 and they where tickled to death.

Lets look at some facts

1 - ginseng grows wild it does and was giving to us it does not cost any thing but your gas,time,eats,& drinks to go out and to find it, and of course your labor.

2 - Ginseng has never reach 700:00 dollars but one time and never reach 900:00 but one time in 100 years.

3 - in the past 10 years if you add the total of the highest price at the end of the season together in my area and then divide it by 10 you will see that the average price for ginseng is not as much as we all want it to be coming out to an average of around a little less than $500:00 a pound dry to us diggers, remember I have been a digger a long time and I always will be a digger so long as it is the good Lords will.

4 - So to me the diggers should always get from $500:00 to $550:00 to be treated fair and from $550:00 to $600:00 to be treated very good anything more is another great blessing from the good Lord like the only 2 years in history where it was 725.00 and 900.00 to me when those years come thank God for it, but remember that based on an overall average those 2 seasons boosted ginseng from back in in the 90`s to what it is in the 2000`s and made the aversage be what it should be today. Without those two seasons the average would be around $400:00 every season or less.

5 - Seeing that what i have written here is based on actual facts and not my opinion from being involved i know that what i am saying is true we should expect between $500 to $600 a year at this time area and hope each year for the blessed years where it sores above the reasonable amount.

6 sometimes it seems as though we forget how much we love doing this and make it a debate seems as politics to me lately it has not been and will never be just about the money that i can make from ginsenging,but it has allot to do with my heritage and what i have learned my children and what they see in the mountains when they go with me and the beauty of all that God has giving to us I pray that nothing ever takes that from them and that nothing ever takes that from me, because if the zeal and passion for what i love to do is not enough, then i have forgot the true meaning of the gift. I have never taking a guitar lesson yet i can play with any musician skillfully never ask the Lord to let me love his word and his blessing as a child yet I do, I was never entered into fishing tournaments to win them yet i can fish with anyone, am i boosting ? No im just trying to say that God gives us many talents and gifts, ginseng hunting is one more good thing that the Lord has giving to us, let us not talk only about great Gaines, but also remember the gift its self and the Lord will provide us with enough gains always he never fails us, why worry so much with the price the price, where is our faith.

Billy.

how much should the dealer make on a pound of ginseng.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14744

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
rob wrote:

Billy wrote:

Rootman to answer your question in my opinion. I think wild ginseng should sell for no less than $500:00 a pound and from their to$600:00 dry and no less than $144:00 a pound wet. I remember for years that if ginseng got to $450:00 the old timers where very happy one year it went to $550:00 and they where tickled to death.

Lets look at some facts

1 - ginseng grows wild it does and was giving to us it does not cost any thing but your gas,time,eats,& drinks to go out and to find it, and of course your labor.

2 - Ginseng has never reach 700:00 dollars but one time and never reach 900:00 but one time in 100 years.

3 - in the past 10 years if you add the total of the highest price at the end of the season together in my area and then divide it by 10 you will see that the average price for ginseng is not as much as we all want it to be coming out to an average of around a little less than $500:00 a pound dry to us diggers, remember I have been a digger a long time and I always will be a digger so long as it is the good Lords will.

4 - So to me the diggers should always get from $500:00 to $550:00 to be treated fair and from $550:00 to $600:00 to be treated very good anything more is another great blessing from the good Lord like the only 2 years in history where it was 725.00 and 900.00 to me when those years come thank God for it, but remember that based on an overall average those 2 seasons boosted ginseng from back in in the 90`s to what it is in the 2000`s and made the aversage be what it should be today. Without those two seasons the average would be around $400:00 every season or less.

5 - Seeing that what i have written here is based on actual facts and not my opinion from being involved i know that what i am saying is true we should expect between $500 to $600 a year at this time area and hope each year for the blessed years where it sores above the reasonable amount.

6 sometimes it seems as though we forget how much we love doing this and make it a debate seems as politics to me lately it has not been and will never be just about the money that i can make from ginsenging,but it has allot to do with my heritage and what i have learned my children and what they see in the mountains when they go with me and the beauty of all that God has giving to us I pray that nothing ever takes that from them and that nothing ever takes that from me, because if the zeal and passion for what i love to do is not enough, then i have forgot the true meaning of the gift. I have never taking a guitar lesson yet i can play with any musician skillfully never ask the Lord to let me love his word and his blessing as a child yet I do, I was never entered into fishing tournaments to win them yet i can fish with anyone, am i boosting ? No im just trying to say that God gives us many talents and gifts, ginseng hunting is one more good thing that the Lord has giving to us, let us not talk only about great Gaines, but also remember the gift its self and the Lord will provide us with enough gains always he never fails us, why worry so much with the price the price, where is our faith.

Billy.

how much should the dealer make on a pound of ginseng.

Rob i could not answer this question for everyone as a dealer,but i can answer it for myself.

To me as a dealer I buy the ginseng,do the paper work,then make a contact sell,and then may or may not have to certify it,then finaly make the resell of it.So I would like to make $25:00 a pound for doing all this and putting out my money and waiting for the return.$25:00 a pound to me would be right for the dealer,but alot of times a dealer does not clear that.Sometimes he does.You have to buy a whole lot and resell a whole lot to make money it is not a simple get rich thing,thogh many believe this falsely.As I had posted once before if it is a get rich quick deal their would be many many more dealers,you have to work for your profits as a dealer in the U.S. I cant speak for the others but for the u.s. I know the facts by being a dealer.

Billy.

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14753

no but I am looking to buy root and will pay a good price. call me at 240-606-3411 to take further. by the way my name is Dan

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14760

'I would like to make $25:00 a pound for doing all this and putting out my money and waiting for the return.$25:00 a pound to me would be right for the dealer,but alot of times a dealer does not clear that.Sometimes he does.You have to buy a whole lot and resell a whole lot to make money\" ....I guess I'm missing something.that sure doesn't sound like good business sence to me..invest 450 a pound to make 25..I've ran a construction business for 20 years now and I know I couldn't operate on those kinda of investments.;)

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14762

Well please try and believe it as it happens all the time and at even less margins.
It's hard to make a decent margin the actual day you buy due to the competative nature of the market.
However if the price goes up throughout the coarse of the season you can eventually get a reasonable return on investment still this does not go without risk.

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14767

I believe its important to mention that occasionally a dealer buys a good sized lot of ginseng in good faith and it appears 'dry' only to find that within a few days or a week that same lot will lose a few ounces at 25.00 an ounce or more....ouch

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14775

Just a friendly reminder to Kentucky folks - if you are a licensed dealer the ginseng must be certified prior to leaving Kentucky - regardless of the lot sizes.

Dan, if you buy Kentucky root, it has to be certified prior to coming to you. A harvester can't see directly to you unless they happen to be a dealer. Regardless, it still must be certified for export out of Kentucky prior to leaving KY.

And the other comments on margins - I've been told margins are very tight on ginseng.

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14777

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
So you see my friend if you buy 20 pounds and move it in a week it becomes a decent and ohnest way to make a dollor,but that is the point to me it is a way to make a dollor not to be giving a dollor,when i was young i worked for a lot less than 500 a week,it has been some time since then but it was so,i remember working 40 hours and bringing home 265 for the whole week ;) I will not complain to make 500 for less physical labor and still have the same good feeling that is ohnest,but it is a long long way from becoming rich aint it Brother.

Chieftain wrote:

'I would like to make $25:00 a pound for doing all this and putting out my money and waiting for the return.$25:00 a pound to me would be right for the dealer,but alot of times a dealer does not clear that.Sometimes he does.You have to buy a whole lot and resell a whole lot to make money\" ....I guess I'm missing something.that sure doesn't sound like good business sence to me..invest 450 a pound to make 25..I've ran a construction business for 20 years now and I know I couldn't operate on those kinda of investments.;)

Re:Any Updates on Ginseng Price In KY???????????????? 12 years 6 months ago #14781

Billy wrote:

So you see my friend if you buy 20 pounds and move it in a week it becomes a decent and ohnest way to make a dollor,but that is the point to me it is a way to make a dollor not to be giving a dollor,when i was young i worked for a lot less than 500 a week,it has been some time since then but it was so,i remember working 40 hours and bringing home 265 for the whole week ;) I will not complain to make 500 for less physical labor and still have the same good feeling that is ohnest,but it is a long long way from becoming rich aint it Brother.

Chieftain wrote:

i hear you brother billy..and its just plain fun messing around with that root all the time..;)

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 196 guests and no members online

Login