2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Good quality Ginseng seeds

Good quality Ginseng seeds 15 years 3 months ago #947

Does anyone know of any good sources of ginseng seed . If so please let me know who u can get them off of and not bad diseased seeds. I purchased some off of Hardings ginseng farm but they were pretty high. I guess u get what u pay for though. I will let everyone know this spring on the germination rate.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 15 years 3 months ago #951

Hi Hillbilly,
Unless you are paying through the nose with Larry ($120+/ per pound), you are getting the very same seed from him, that you can get from most sang buyers for less. He wants you to pay for his expertise in growing as well as the seed. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy but, you can buy good seed cheaper. If you paid $65- or so a pound for seed from Larry Harding, what you got was seed from Canada or Wisconsin, that was raised on a ginseng farm under artificial shade. He will sell some of his native seed but, for much more then the normal stuff he sells. I paid $50/per pound this year through the WV ginseng growers association, but if you contact root buyers they should be able to sell you seed or point you in the right direction.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 15 years 3 months ago #956

• jeremy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hey dieselrider thanks for the reply. I payed 50 dollars for one once of seeds and 13 3 year old roots from larry. it was one of the kits he was offering. yeah he is a real nice guy i couldn't hardly get off the phone with him the night i ordered the seeds from him. he took me through the whole process step by step. And told me to call anytime i had a question. I was just asking everyone because i didn't want only one seed source. but also i didn't want to just start buying from anyone i wanted to know other peoples experiences with good vs. bad seeds. And also maybe a little cheaper in the future.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 15 years 3 months ago #990

Try Ozark Mountain Ginseng. He is also high on price but his seeds have been tested to have a 90% germination rate.

MMG

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 11 months ago #1200

Thats not very nice of Larry if he's misleadin everyone and selling them field seed. How do ya know thats his practice?

I sell seed from my wild simulated and they are the best ya'll ever seen, know foolin.All hand done,
no chemicals used any where, stratified in black duff, same as where ya plant. You'll get abit in every order.

Guy

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 11 months ago #1201

guy i don't believe that Larry is misleading people with the wrong seed. I haven't known him long but everytime i call him for anything he is one of the nicest people u will ever talk to. If u call him for anything and mention the word ginseng you had better plan on being on the phone for along time. The man loves to talk ginseng. He will walk u through every step on how to plant it or any question that u might have. He also told me anytime I had a question feel free to call. By the way guy how much do you charge for seeds, how does a fellow go about getting them off of you do you have a website.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 10 months ago #1243

Hillbilly
I have a website BSMGinseng.com our green is $65 and stratified is $90 we use no chemicals and all work is hand done. Every customer is happy.

How did the Harding seeds do for ya.
Guy

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 10 months ago #1244

hey guy thanks for the site. Its kinda unusual because all of my sang that i have growed from wild seed is up tall and has been up. The seed and roots from hardings has just started to come up. I don't know if its where they were transplanted or the seeds and roots came from a colder environment. I checked on them yesterday and some where up and again this evening and fount a bunch more up. But i don't think many more will be up, because i planted late in the year and mulched with leaves, well to make a long story short i never checked on it again until april 1 and where i had planted no mulch. A rookies mistake. But all of the rootlets are up and seem to be doing well. I also ordered some of his ginseng berry juice and he sent me some five year old rootlets back at the first of april and they were already sprouted and i have never planted anything that has already sprouted but needless to say they have just started coming up and seem to be very healthy. Back in the fall when i ordered my first ginseng seeds i also ordered the book by scott persons i believe the last name is wrong, but anyway i planted before ever reading the book i thought i knew all there was to know about planting because i have had very good success with planting green seeds bad mistake. I learned so much from the book. I Know this coming planting season I will do things very different. But anyway guy i will let you know more in a couple of weeks.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1302

guy just wanting to let you know on the seeds. It is now June 3 and only a couple more plants have come up. I would say out of an ounce of seed only 15 to 20 plants came up. I don't know what went wrong unless it was the mulch that got blown away. Each seed was hand planted and slightly covered with no more than a half inch of dirt then i mulched with leaves. It was on November 8. I don't want to talk bad about the seeds but something went wrong somewhere. I know this was the first time i had ever dealt with stratified seeds but i have always planted the berries from my wild seng (not stratified) and have always had excellent success on germination. Maybe it was me I don't know but this upcoming season i want to plant a pound of stratified seed and i believe i am going to buy a little bit from several different people and see who's does the best.

Re:Good quality Ginseng seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1304

say hillbilly, you mentioned that the mulch had blown off some of the area you planted. That might have allowed the berries to dry out, or, it could allow the sun to heat that area enough to cause the seeds to germinate way too early in the spring and then get burned by a frost. I have been reading Scott Persons book and just read about mulch last night. I have had similar results as you in places the mulch gets blown off.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

Who's Online

We have 343 guests and no members online

Login