2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seed germination test

Seed germination test 13 years 2 months ago #8873

The Person book suggests that when buying seed that we do a germination test. Like, counting out 100 seeds from a bag of bought seed, and attempting to germinate these. Counting the seeds that actually do germinate... and contacting the seller if the results are below a certain % of overall germination.

Any of you dong this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed germination test 13 years 2 months ago #8874

Whitjr

Here is a Power Point Presentation by Bob Beyfuss That shows doing a test plot. He also explains reasons why ginseng fails.

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites...jBjMTNhMGM&pli=1

Congrats on getting some seed in the ground!

classicfur

Re:Seed germination test 13 years 2 months ago #8875

I planted 59 oz of seed this fall/winter - around 3.7 lbs, at 7000 per pound that would be around 25,900 seed.

I don't have a exact count on the number of beds I made but I do have them all marked and will get out this spring and apply more gypsum and try to get a exact count.

I figure there are around 25 beds (perhaps a bit less).

I bought my seed from 3 different sources.

Hardwoodginseng
Wildgrown
Hardings

And I know which beds hold seed from which supplier.

My germination test will be done here in another month or month + few days. Seng is usually up here Mid April (last year on April 17).

I will definately be paying attention to how the 3 different seed sources perform on germination and seedling success and will adjust my seed purchase accordingly next fall/winter.

Good Luck to all you guys that have been planting this year - hope you do extremely well.

TNhunter

Re:Seed germination test 13 years 2 months ago #8876

It's a great idea to keep track of all the details with each planting. Where the seeds came from, planting method, and nutrients added.

Just because you have a poor germination rate in one or two beds does not necessarily mean that the seeds were bad. If you have four beds with seeds from one supplier and you have two of those beds that have poor germination, then you need to do a process of elimination to figure out what caused poor germination. Like poor soil, disease, planting method. Bed too wet, seeds dried out, animals and rodents eat the seeds also slugs and snails under the leaves will destroy seedlings, etc.

There are many reasons why seeds fail to germinate well. So keep good records of everything.

classicfur

Re:Seed germination test 13 years 2 months ago #8881

Well, the beds planted will tell their own tales, I guess.

The seed germination test that was suggested by Person in his book, had to do with actually taking 100 seeds and germinating them in a dish, in moist conditions. Actually to see what the germination rate would be and to verify that the seeds received were good. I did this yesterday when we got back from the site.

TN Hunter- I like your approach to getting seeds from different sellers. I'll have to try that soon.

Classicfur- I watched that PP presentation on \"Why plantings fail\" last week, thanks for suggesting it... I wish that my Mac would allow me to watch it at home. I watched it at one of the work computers in a slow time there. I've been putting off getting a Microsoft Office for the Mac, however this is another good reason to get one.

I'm wishing that you guys have great luck with the plots you've got in!

dish seed test results. 13 years 1 month ago #8903

After 5 days, here's ther esults form the seed germination test.

Materials:
--small lipped dish
--paper towel above and below seeds
--water enough to keep moist every day x 2
--warmth by a morning sunny window, indoors
--random 100 seeds from my purchase.

Results: 59 seeds germinated after five days. 59% rate.

Questions remain about further germination possibilities... and I also wonder what the rate of germination will be if in the apprioate dirt, under similar circumstances of a controlled enviroment. I'll have to try that one on the next seed purchase.

Hope this of interest to some of you...

Re:dish seed test results. 13 years 1 month ago #8908

Whitjr

That's a decent germination rate. I would consider anything higher than 50% planted in the woods a success.

My first two years of planting had about 25-30% germination. But over the last five years I have had germination success of 80% and higher.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that with some plantings, some seeds will not emerge until the second spring. I may have 72% germination the first spring and a few more will come up the second spring. And end up with maybe 80% germination. This does not happen with every planting, usually they all come up the first spring. And I have no idea what causes the seeds to come up a yr later.

classicfur

Re:dish seed test results. 13 years 1 month ago #8910

I agree as well. The remaining seeds will more than likely germinate soon or even skip a year. Ginseng comes up at various stages even with the same age plants planted side by side. Ginseng seed germination can vary up to 2 weeks or more even in a controlled environment. So don't count those other seeds out just yet.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:dish seed test results. 13 years 1 month ago #8912

BTW, these were from our hosts: wildgrown.com

Re:dish seed test results. Update! 13 years 1 month ago #8976

After 6 days there was a whopping 90% germination rate. Wow! I just hope that in the woods these do nearly as well!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results in the planted beds.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 730 guests and no members online

Login