2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed

Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5851

Hi,
I have saved back some wild roots I dug this year that I plan on planting in a tilled bed for long term seed production. I was wondering if anyone knows if seed from wild plants is better than seed from plants that have been intensively cultivated? I am planting in the wild simulated method. It seems to me that wild seeds would be hardier, less susceptible to getting disease, and eventually produce a better root faster, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience and/or opinions about this. I guess my dilemma is I could dry down my wild roots, and then use the money to buy more cultivated roots than I have wild roots, because cultivated roots are much cheaper. Or I could plant my wild roots for seed production. I am from Minnesota and I am just getting started planting ginseng. I planted about 2lbs last year which came up very well and I plan on planting around 3lbs this year, along with some rootlets.
Thanks,
Kyle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5868

I have used seeds from Hsu Ginseng from Wisconsin with Great Success(90% germination). I do treat the seeds before planting by soaking in either Captan water or Bleach water to help kill any diseases. I have bought seeds from Hsu for over 10 years.

Also Hsu sells three year old roots for $38 per lb.(thats about 75-90 roots). I do know that most of those three year old roots will start producing seeds the very next year.

Here is Hsu's website:

english.hsuginseng.com/product/product_p8.aspx?catid=102160911

You mentioned that you are planting in a tilled bed. Wild simulated would be planted in soil with no tilling. With Wild simulated you would scratch the surface of the soil with like a garden rake. Tilling the soil would be more like woods grown. And would give you a root more like cultivated.

classicfur

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5877

It's funny you mentioned Hsu ginseng because that is the site I was looking at buying the rootlets from because they are so cheap. Also I am only tilling these beds for my long term seed producing plants. The rest of the ginseng I plant by just raking the leaves back and then scattering the seed. I had pretty good results doing that last year.
Kyle

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5949

Kyle

Sounds like you have the right idea for growing Wild Simulated. Hopefully you have Some companion plants and also proper shade to sustain them for atleast seven years.

classicfur

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5953

It's never a bad idea to keep wild stock for the genetics. I know of some guys who have been doing it for years, and now have a marketable quantity of seed that they get a premium for, sometimes $150-$200/lb. As for producing a better root faster, that would be debatable. Techically cultivated seeds would be more vigorous because they have undergone many years of cross breeding by the large farmers, to produce larger roots faster, in a cramped enviroment of something like 25 plants per sq. ft.

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 6 months ago #5963

Thanks for your opinions. The spot I am planting is perfect, it has a bunch of wild ginseng growing on it.
kyle

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 5 months ago #6803

Classicfur, I've never planted stratified seed before, but have just ordered a little to get in the ground this fall. My question is how long should I soak the seeds in the bleach water? I've only purchased a small amount that I'm planning on planting in an are that has a small population of wild plants and definately won't overcrowd, but don't want to introduce any disease either.

classicfur wrote:

I have used seeds from Hsu Ginseng from Wisconsin with Great Success(90% germination). I do treat the seeds before planting by soaking in either Captan water or Bleach water to help kill any diseases. I have bought seeds from Hsu for over 10 years.

Also Hsu sells three year old roots for $38 per lb.(thats about 75-90 roots). I do know that most of those three year old roots will start producing seeds the very next year.

Here is Hsu's website:

english.hsuginseng.com/product/product_p8.aspx?catid=102160911

You mentioned that you are planting in a tilled bed. Wild simulated would be planted in soil with no tilling. With Wild simulated you would scratch the surface of the soil with like a garden rake. Tilling the soil would be more like woods grown. And would give you a root more like cultivated.

classicfur

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 5 months ago #6804

5prong

If you use bleach, use 1 oz. bleach with 1 gallon of water. Soak for 10 minutes then rinse them off in a strainer with fresh water. Then spread them out on paper towels and let them air dry for little while. Blot any excess moiture with more paper towels. Then put them in a clean Zip lock bag. Don't use the bag they came in, because it might be contaminated.

I have used three different treatment. they all seem to work fine. Others are: Captan and Bacillus Subtilis GB03

classicfur

Re:Wild seed vs. Cultivated seed 13 years 5 months ago #6836

Classicfur

Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 327 guests and no members online

Login