2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Voles

Voles 5 years 7 months ago #41209

What have you guys tried to get rid of voles. I have many big 4 prongs that have died over the past couple of years and each time i dig up the root to see if it is root rot, but guess what, the roots gone with a little tunnel going to who knows where. I have too many beds to install metal flashing in ground, has anyone tried those solar powered mole spikes that emit high decibel sound?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Voles 5 years 7 months ago #41211

Are you sure it was voles ? Most forested areas have rodent tunnels everywhere. That does not mean that they ate your ginseng. I have noticed that sometimes a large ginseng plant will die suddenly. Usually this happens after the canopy opens up for whatever reason. Seems like the plant decides that there is just too much sunlight so it puts every bit of energy into berry production, then it dies.

Voles 5 years 7 months ago #41212

Hey Archon, yea im 99% sure it has to be those rodents. The top will still be green but drooping, so that would tell mw even if the plant died some remnance of the root should still be there even if it died naturally. I remember one time one of the largest wild plants i had maybe stood 20in tall. I walked by and admired it every time i went to check on my wild sim. Then one day it wasnt 20 in tall, maybe only 6 in tall, and still green. The actual stem of the plant had been pulled down in the ground. So i dug to see what happened with the root. No root with a little tunnel, hopefully the rodents will get too fat pretty soon and get stuck in those tunnels.

Voles 5 years 7 months ago #41221

Wow that sucks. Never seen anything like that in my area. I did try anti-coagulant rodent poison last year. It had no effect whatsoever. Probably because the rodent population was simply too large.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 454 guests and no members online

Login