2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Too thick?

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40016

Hey guys/gals, Do you think I need to thin out some of this undergrowth? This Seng has been here for 20 years and it's not very big.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40017

This spot is low on the hill. The higher up I go, the Seng is bigger and looks much better. It's getting alot of morning sun there and I would've thought it would have better size. It could be that there's too much other stuff taking the nutrients? I honestly don't know.

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40018

Well I just got back from checking that spot. I weeded out a small section to see how it will do the rest of the summer. Here's a picture.
Attachments:

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40023

I don't think its to thick,others may think it is..in the wild the berries seldom fall or get any further that a couple foot from the mother plant.i guess if you think its to thick you could dig the roots up and replant them a little farther apart..jmo.

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40025

I agree with Chieftain, I do not think its too thick either. I looks nice and healthy too.
Latt

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40027

Thanks guys. I guess I was just thinking that those plants should be bigger than they are since they've been there as long as they have. I haven't checked the roots on any of these to see how big they are and maybe they are bigger than the tops appear.
The tallest plant in this area is only about 7-9 inches tall.

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40034

UBTrapper...

I think that the amount of light (and perhaps the type of light) they are getting (morning sunlight is best) makes the biggest difference in how big or tall a seng plant will get.

It there is too much shade, they will grow 50-60 years and not get any bigger than a 8-10" tall 3 pronger.

But if they are in good soil and getting lots of morning sun, in just 5-8 years they will be some big stout and tall 3 and 4 prongers.

I have a creek bluff not too far from my home that faces due east. There are locations on that bluff where I find just HUGE seng, nice tall 3 and 4 prongers with big fat bulby roots, and no more than 7-8 flats on the root neck.

Another example... in places where the ridge top has been clear cut, but the hollow bottom and hillside still has good timber... there will be more light getting down into the seng growing areas than normal... and that seng will grow much larger than usual.

I have a spot like that that I hunt every 3-4 years... and only part of that ridge top has been clear cut...
On the hillside down below the ridge top where it has not been clear cut, I find all kinds of normal-small ginseng plants - 8"-10" tall 3 prongs mostly.
But on that same hillside down below the ridgetop where it has been clear cut.. things change drastically. Lots of lush green growth, water weeds, polk salid plants, briars, etc... but SENG... BIG SENG. - big old tops and roots, lots of 4 prongers.

The increase in sunlight is what made the difference.

TNHunter

Too thick? 6 years 10 months ago #40036

Thanks for the reply TN. That makes sense to me. I'm going to check out the rest of my Seng with that in mind and see if I can see that difference.
This fall I will plant some where it will get a lot more morning sun and see how it grows.
I will also check the root size and age of those short plants and let you guys know

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Who's Online

We have 527 guests and no members online

Login