2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant?

How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39026

I am new to the Forum. I have been planting wild seed on my on my stepdads farm which is mountain woods and behind my house. I started bringing a few seeds back from my hunts over the previous years. I have been watching it and checking on it for the past few years now. I started about 8 or 9 years ago. My first seeds I planted is coming up now. I have seen about 8 group of Ginseng coming up. Their are several 2 prongs, one nice 3 prong some already producing berries. Thing is their several 3 leaf small ones. Some of the other seeds I have planted have not come up yet. Just wondering what the average time it takes the seed to produce a plant above the ground? Being some has come up then other previous years are showing yet. I am trying to post a picture, this was a picture from last year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39027

Can't get pictures to load as of yet

Re:How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39031

Welcome to the Forum.

Ginseng seeds usually germinate after 2 years. Ginseng does not have the ability to form a \"seed bank\" in the soil. So after two years, if no new seeds are added, there will be no new seedlings.

Re:How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39033

If you plant berries or (green seed) in the fall, it will not come up the next spring (in most cases), but will most likely come up the second spring.

There are exceptions to that, but as a general rule that is how it works.

There are some ginseng plants that produce red ripe berries very early (like June or early July) and I have seen video evidence that those that produce berries really early, will often germinate and produce 3 leafers the next spring.

I have also planted stratified seed in a bed, and saw the large majority of that come up the next spring, but then again in the next spring after that more come up. At times it can delay for a year or even two and then still germinate.

This some what random oddity in how it does this occasionally has probably helped it to survive for so long.

TNHunter

Re:How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39035

Well hopefully I will keep getting more patches coming up year after year. Not going to dig any of it saving it for my twin grandsons they are almost 2. I never could get my pictures to download. But the one under my name did. I took that picture last week then buried the seeds. Thanks for the info. Hopefully someday I will have a nice patch of Ginseng.

Re:How long it takes wild seed to produce a plant? 7 years 7 months ago #39039

Kirk..

Before you can post a picture on this board... you have to resize it.

If you have a app that can resize pictures in pixels, something like 800x600 works fine.

Any larger than that, they will fail to post.

Good Luck with your plantings !

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 125 guests and no members online

Login