2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: What you got growing ?

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38950

Looks like you are just pressing in the berries a little bit TN? Great pics!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38954

Maya...

Our ground is very soft right now from all the rain.

I try to plant berries anywhere from 1/2 inch deep to 1\" deep depending on the soil type.

If harder clay type I plant it a little shallower, if it is that nice soft loam or sandy soil I go a little deeper.

Love planting those berries.

TNHunter

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38956

Hey TNHunter (and others),

I see you are planting whole berries. I've seen that elsewhere as well. Is that preferable over mashing the seed(s) out of a berry and then planting the seed(s)?

Last year was my first time harvesting, and I got into the habit of mashing out the seeds and then planting them individually. Some of those bigger plants would have some berries with 3 seeds in them. It just made sense to me to spread the seeds out a little more, although my finger tip got quite raw from poking them all in the ground...

Just curious about how different people plant the berries/seeds and whether there is any observed difference in the results of each method.

And great looking plants BTW. This year, I'm going to replant some roots instead of turning them all into tea or tincture. Everyone needs a seed garden!

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38958

Createdman...

I have planted red berries, marked the location, and followed up on them thru to sprouting.

Even though one berry with 2 seeds was planted in the berry... when they sprouted they came up 2-3 inches apart.

The top inch or two of the soil actually moves around quite a bit especially during winter cycles with freezing and thawing... and a red berry that is planted, and undergoes the normal stratification period... goes thru two winters so there is lots of soil movement that happens over that time and from my experience it will separate those seeds more than you think it would.

I have dug a many big stout healthy ginseng that had a twin growing right beside it... hoping that it was a double top... to find out nope... it was just a couple of individuals that very well may have come from the same berry.

I also tend to think that on the 3rd day the ONE that created all of these seed bearing plants knew what he was doing :-)

Can a man help the situation out some... I think you are probably right, we might be able to if we took the time to do that, separate those seeds a little more.

One exception I might have to that is when conditions are really dry... those seeds staying inside that berry would be protected just a little bit longer from drying out.

Hope you have Great Success with your plantings.

TNHunter

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38960

Thanks TNHunter - that makes good sense. This plant and it's berries (and seeds) are indeed incredibly designed, so it seems right to go with the original intent. And I hadn't thought about how in a 100% natural setting, the berry might provide enough moisture (and other protection?) to sustain the seeds until they are adequately covered with fresh fallen leaves that will help trap moisture. Same goes for when we plant them during a dry spell.

Blessings and happy hunting this season!

CreatedMan

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38969

Visited my seed bed again this evening - to put out some mouse poison - taking care of those little berry eaters...

Found 25 more red berries.

I just picked Saturday morning and Tuesday evening 25 more were nice and red.

We got more rain today... Rainiest August I can ever remember here.

Hope all of you folks that were reporting bad dry spells have gotten some rain lately.

TNHunter

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 8 months ago #38972

TNhunter wrote:

Maya...

Our ground is very soft right now from all the rain.

I try to plant berries anywhere from 1/2 inch deep to 1\" deep depending on the soil type.

If harder clay type I plant it a little shallower, if it is that nice soft loam or sandy soil I go a little deeper.

Love planting those berries.

TNHunter

Same here. Just got my first few in the ground this week.

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 7 months ago #39011

Visited my Seed bed again yesterday morning...

The mouse bait is working some had been eaten, chewed on, and there was still some left.

The berries are really starting to kick in now... got 85 berries off my seed bed.

Took them to another hollow where I have a couple of wild sim beds and a new spot in that hollow that I wanted to start a patch.
Up near the head of the hollow there is a place where there are 5-6 old grape vines in a small area. I have found ginseng on a regular basis where grape vines grow and I planted 30 berries or so in that location... we'll see how they do.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 7 months ago #39012

My wild sim patched in this hollow are 4 year olds... and there were a few 3 prongs in those patched with red berries on.

I planted a total of 120 berries yesterday.

Not Bad...

Re:What you got growing ? 7 years 7 months ago #39013

Since it rained good on Friday night, and Saturday morning was our opening day for Squirrel season...

I also took my old slam hammer with me (H&R Single Barrel 30\" full 12 GA shotgun) with some 6 shot.

While I was planting those berries, and deer snorted at me, and there were squirrels backing all down the hollow.

Once I got all of my berries planed I did a little slipping and eased up under a tall hickory where there were 3 up in there feeding.

I got 2 of the 3...

Attachments:

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Who's Online

We have 474 guests and no members online

Login