2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone from N.C

Anyone from N.C 8 years 5 months ago #37903

I know ginseng is said to grow in North Carolina , but I'm wondering If anyone knows if that is area specific. Like if it will only grow up towards the mountains or etc. Any help or info is appreciated . I posted about this before but never got any replies . I also posted it in the wrong section and just a minute ago realized it . I'm new here if you can't tell.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 5 months ago #37904

Please contact the NCDA Plant Conservation Program 919-707-3730
also search the North Carolina Natural Products Association website

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 5 months ago #37908

I went to the website you mentioned . I didn't really fund much about what I was looking for. It had a link to some article in the Washington post or something like that. And why would I want to call that number for ? Thanks for the reply though.

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 4 months ago #37910

Jdman2840
It will grow in NC. Just like any state, the conditions need to be right. Right soil, canopy, slope, direction of the sloping etc.

Growing ginseng successfully is a challenge in any state. So if you are going to grow ginseng in NC you will have the same challenges as those growing further north.

To answer part of your question, I would think growing ginseng in the western part of the state would be better than attempting to grow in the eastern part.

However, there may be some nice woods with the right conditions in the eastern part of the state too, so I wouldn't rule the eastern part out totally.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 4 months ago #37911

I know that growing ginseng is not easy . I know for sure it's not a get rich fast thing. I know that when I do plant and they do grow only a percentage will actually make it to be mature. But I thank you for your answer. As far as conditions goes , I have plenty of tulip poplar , ferns , kohosh and not sure about sugar maple . I do not think I have many of those around here. I definitely have the slopes matter of fact most of the land I have is hilly. But the direction of sloping I have no idea how to find that out at all Lol. I already have some seeds planted but if they do not make it I'm pretty sure it is my fault and will try again .

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 4 months ago #37912

I had an real \"Expert\" tell me that Poplar is one of the best indicators when it comes to good PH and soil quality. lt also sounds like you are way ahead of the curve already on expectations. I am sure with your knowledge and expectations you will be pleased with your plantings.
Good luck!!!
Latt

Re:Anyone from N.C 8 years 4 months ago #37913

Yea I hope that your expert is correct Lol. But I have heard the same too from a couple sources . Besides sugar maple poplar is supposed to be the next best thing. I have basically no expectations when it comes to ginseng , I doubted it would even grow here for a while . But read about it and thought well It gets pretty cold here during winter I have some of the companion plants so why not try.
Thanks for the info and good luck to you to .

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 86 guests and no members online

Login