2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Nice Surprise To Find

A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37609

Was out in my woods again today. Was clearing my electric fence of debris with all this wind lately and when looking at the fence around my biggest planting (1/4 acre/35,000 seedlings [at least planted that many and it looks like they all came up]) I looked down and saw this wild plant right in the middle. Didn't know it was there til today. Only a two prong and three nice berries. Planted them immediately. This year I found 20 harvestable, and 20 immature wild plants in my little 4 acres and only knew of two plants before planting last year. I found a patch of 5 two-prongers earlier in the week and one 3 prong 20' from them. That plant is elusive!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37610

jimsenger66,

You have mentioned, or shown 3-4 different things that tell me that you have one of the best ginseng growing sites of anyone on the board. I think everyone believes that Hillhopper has about the best we have ever seen, but your place exhibits close to the same good traits as his. I feel like with all the positive aspects that you have going for you that the biggest thing that you need to concentrate on is getting the equipment on hand as soon as you can to be able to spay and protect these young plants as they begin growing this coming Spring. When they are young, they are very vulnerable to disease, so be ready to handle these problems right away. Good luck in the new year.

Hugh

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37611

Thanks Hugh. I cannot even be closely compared to Hillhopper though. He really takes this seng planting to some serious levels. This one patch I spoke of is the only one of any size, and other than the fenced off test beds and the seed production bed, I am just planting like TNhunter has reverted to. Maybe a little thicker. The threat of disease is what has caused me to change plans as I had intended to fill the woods with seng but have since calmed down that thought. Especially after catching poachers to add to the drama. I have to add another camera this year to cover this area now. Wasn't worried about it with seedlings, but them two-prongers will stand out. I suspected the whole woods to do pretty good as all the other companions are throughout, except one strip down the center of the woods below the spring, (which I dammed to make a watering hole) which is the lowest in the concave and it looks to be too wet for seng but good for seal. The large area I planted was already clear from having cattle in there a few years back, so I just took advantage of that and went seed-planting-crazy! It is the highest elevation of my woods just near the large field. I think disease will be less with the heavier breeze up there but still get nervous when thinking about disease. What I plan to do next year is dig more than half out of there to transplant when they start to yellow in fall. There is a descent amount of light that gets in as well and I am going to take the big risk and hope and pray they make it through next summer so I can do so, as I am very anti-chemical and won't be spraying. Heck, I swat spiders in my house because I just refuse to use chemicals.

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37612

Here is that larger area I planted. So far so good on keeping critters out. No deer on any cams lately in my (former now I guess) hunting spot. I touched that fence one day and it felt like I got kicked by a mule and went dark for a second!
Attachments:

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37613

The water hole(s).
Attachments:

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37614

The tree cams. When leaves. Are on I have a few hidden at ground level too. All with antennas!
Attachments:

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37617

love this set-up.Hope everything goes well for u in upcoming years,be sure to keep us posted.

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37618

bawhite40 wrote:

love this set-up.Hope everything goes well for u in upcoming years,be sure to keep us posted.

Thank you. Lord willing it will. I will keep foks posted.

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37717

Jimsinger66-

We are looking at installing a security system with cameras like you have put in. Could you please post here some manufacturer info on those solar cameras?

Do your cameras send vid or stills to a central monitor. Or to a smartphone?

Also, how are you powering that fence?

Re:A Nice Surprise To Find 8 years 5 months ago #37723

Nice setup Jimsinger. Looks like a good area.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1069 guests and no members online

Login