Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Caught Me Some Poachers!

Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37216

This past Saturday I was driving down the state route that passes near my property and in a pull-off there was an import pickup truck parked. My property gets within 200 yards of this pull-off. So I figured I better meander up the township road and into my property to take a look if the truck did have seng diggers. Well, as I pull up into my field, right where an atv path on my land meets the field there were two people standing. I pulled up near them abruptly and turned the car sideways swung the door opened and jumped out asking what they were doing there. I saw a large shiny-tipped flat screwdriver sticking down throught the older fellow's belt, so I asked, \"are you huntin' 'seng\"? They said they were and I said, \"well, don't be thinking you are here\"! Then I asked where thier seng was and they said they didn't find any, which I verified later looking all around there they were at. The older low-life actually said, \"Oh, I lied, I have one root here in my pocket\". IT WAS A SEEDLING ROOT, from the neibors property or earlier places, I suppose. I told him he was stupid for digging a one prong. He said he got it to eat. (Must know the law, but still wants to trespass/poach.) I went on to ask them how they came in and they said they were lost. I told them they were only a five minute walk from their truck and they were not lost. The younger fellow was trying to keep his right side out of my sight so I just jumped over and seen he was hiding a pistol, open carry. I said, \"well at least you are smart enough to have a weapon\". They both looked at me funny, but I ignored any of their reaction and no doubt confused them on that. They said they din't go into my woods because of all the signs. (I have signs every 10-15'. One sign says, \"Warning, 24 Hour Video Survellance\", and the next says \"Authorized Personell Only Beyond This Point\" and then every third one is a simple no trespassing sign. Every hundred or so yards I have up some I had made that say,\"Warning, Neusance Animal Tripwire Devices Beyond This Point\". Funny thing is that there is! I know darn well, I wouldn't go in them woods either, and they didn't either. I have over a dozen cams on four acres and 5 are mounted high in trees and the ladder is locked to a tree for changing the card even though I really don't have to as I have them cams on vid mode to overwrite if full and they have their own solar panel and external 5.5 milliamp hour batteries in treated wood boxes that say what type of cell signal they use, and the antenna on each is in plain sight. Also, the ground-level cams are wireless and hidden, but still locked shut and chained to trees. They didn't show up in any pics or vids so the warnings must have been good deterrents. As for the tripwires, well them darn deer keep me busy rearming them. I have no idea why they are so hard headed.

So, as I was escorting them off of my property I mentioned all the cams and informed them how good of a thing it was they didn't go into the woods as I was a 12B, combat engineer in the Army and I have tripwires throughout the woods and other triggering devices, and the cameras are on cellular networks. I think they will not be back unless they are completely brainless! What else -less will follow if they choose to be stupid?

As they walked out through the neiboring property owner's woods I stood in their plain sight rustling the leaves off and on. Then once they got out of sight I went in to my woods to make sure they didn't already harass the wild that was still holding green seed last I looked and they were there with red berries and I planted them and topped them and now no seng tops in the woods at all.

After I left my property I drove down to that pull-off and they were gone. I should have hurried down there in my car and gave them another verbal warning as they approached their car. Oh well, I think I got the point across.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37217

By the way, the perimeter alarms (neusance animal tripwire devices) are legal. You can get your own by searching for 12 gauge perimeter alarms on google. Only thing is you have to put up warning signs, which is a double positive for trespasser deterrance. You only can use blanks legally and physically, since these are shorter to not fit full length shells

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37221

Honestly not sure which aspect of this thread concerns me the most. Wow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37226

jimsenger66 wrote:

By the way, the perimeter alarms (neusance animal tripwire devices) are legal. You can get your own by searching for 12 gauge perimeter alarms on google. Only thing is you have to put up warning signs, which is a double positive for trespasser deterrance. You only can use blanks legally and physically, since these are shorter to not fit full length shells



Hey Jimsenger,

I\"m not very familiar with the laws you are talking about here in Ohio. Can you give me some more details? ORC number perhaps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37231

TonyL wrote:

Honestly not sure which aspect of this thread concerns me the most. Wow.


Well, until I live there (which will be less than a year) I have to deter poachers with audible animal deterrents. I would, in no way, hurt anyone. Just deter!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37232

BCastle wrote:

jimsenger66 wrote:

By the way, the perimeter alarms (neusance animal tripwire devices) are legal. You can get your own by searching for 12 gauge perimeter alarms on google. Only thing is you have to put up warning signs, which is a double positive for trespasser deterrance. You only can use blanks legally and physically, since these are shorter to not fit full length shells



Hey Jimsenger,

I\"m not very familiar with the laws you are talking about here in Ohio. Can you give me some more details? ORC number perhaps?


Not sure of the ORC, but that is what these guys told me in Rittman. Here's a link to the page showing the ones they sell. www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Gadgets.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37233

The \"other triggering devices\" part was BS, but will still help to keep them away. Just had to make the place sound more scary. Most of the cams are not on network either, but they'll never know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37242

jimsenger66 wrote:

BCastle wrote:

jimsenger66 wrote:

By the way, the perimeter alarms (neusance animal tripwire devices) are legal. You can get your own by searching for 12 gauge perimeter alarms on google. Only thing is you have to put up warning signs, which is a double positive for trespasser deterrance. You only can use blanks legally and physically, since these are shorter to not fit full length shells



Hey Jimsenger,

I\"m not very familiar with the laws you are talking about here in Ohio. Can you give me some more details? ORC number perhaps?


Not sure of the ORC, but that is what these guys told me in Rittman. Here's a link to the page showing the ones they sell. www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Gadgets.html



Just be VERY careful. The laws against booby traps are strict here. And always remember, it is someone's perception of what happened not what your intention or sometimes what actually happens which normally gets people in trouble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37250

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationBCastle wrote:

jimsenger66 wrote:

BCastle wrote:

jimsenger66 wrote:

By the way, the perimeter alarms (neusance animal tripwire devices) are legal. You can get your own by searching for 12 gauge perimeter alarms on google. Only thing is you have to put up warning signs, which is a double positive for trespasser deterrance. You only can use blanks legally and physically, since these are shorter to not fit full length shells



Hey Jimsenger,

I\"m not very familiar with the laws you are talking about here in Ohio. Can you give me some more details? ORC number perhaps?


Not sure of the ORC, but that is what these guys told me in Rittman. Here's a link to the page showing the ones they sell. www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Gadgets.html



Just be VERY careful. The laws against booby traps are strict here. And always remember, it is someone's perception of what happened not what your intention or sometimes what actually happens which normally gets people in trouble.


Thank you Brad. I put the blank on the back side of a tree from where the wire is so as to prevent any direct flash or dirt flying from the blanks. I would think that our great state would only consider something a boobie trap if it was meant to do harm to the trespasser, and the measures I have taken for safety should make it hard to find me liable in civil court. Like I said, I don't want to hurt anyone, but I sure don't want some freeloader coming in and stealing what I am working hard for. Heck, them things are legal even in Europe and Britain. They even call them \"Poacher Alarms\". How convenient! I think the cameras high in the trees actually work best considering the antennas are easily seen. The blanks will just scare them by making them think someone just heard it and will be there momentarily.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Caught Me Some Poachers! 2 years 1 week ago #37258

You are right as far as I can tell.

I guess what I would be cautious about is someone saying that their hearing was damaged, or they suffered psychological injury (PTSD episode, etc). This seems silly (and it sometimes is) but the legal definition of physical harm includes psychological injury and the wording is \"regardless of severity or duration\" this is why I would caution you to be very careful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: lattTNhunterHillhopperjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 200 guests and 2 members online