2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: New grower

New grower 8 years 6 months ago #36976

I used to hunt wild ginseng yrs ago with my dad...last time we found any viable populations was in 1985...I have a working knowledge of the plant...this yr partner and I started growing....his land has rich loose dark soil....companion plants of Bloodroot,trillium,and Jack in the pulpit...im going all in or nothing...life is a gamble...we are putting in half a pound of seed fully confident in ten yrs with other sites I've selected...we will harvest 2 million dollars worth of roots...I dunno why I didn't think of this twenty yrs ago...I'm 43 now....my goal is to educate my son's in it....and with God and some luck...make it a viable business for them...I plan on being the wild grown king of my area...nobody around me is doing it...I have the advantage of knowing every isolated pocket of good hardwood stands to wildcat this magical plant...I'm ambitious and I will cash in...not telling anybody else how to do it...but go heavy...it will pay off...ginseng is a fussy plant but locating the right terrain...shade...soil....companion plants....Will make you well to do...believe in yourself...I found my calling in life FINALLY!!!!! It's ginseng...and I fully expect in the next decade to plant 100,000 seeds by hand.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #36983

I wish you the best. Don't get discouraged when things go wrong...because they always seem to do so for everyone at some point when dealing with this plant.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #36993

I'm undaunted...even tho the growing spots are scattered and isolated..I think I can make it work...my biggest fear is of course poachers...and the excessive hardwood logging...that's why I'm planting in pockets that are small.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #36995

Welcome to the forum, silverwolf2604!

I like your plan, only thing I would add is that it might take more seed than you mentioned to gain that sort of benefit. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37003

Got 1lb this yr....my goal is to get it to self propagate...I have a working knowledge of the plant...but albeit yes I'm a newbie...my father the wild digger is the expert in the family and has been helping me...my biggest prob here is the logging....isolated hardwood stands I'm planting...friends property...has a good spot we planted...found four companion plants...blue cohosh,bloodroot,fern,sarsaparilla...my mistake five and Jack in the pulpit...biggest plus...to my knowledge and I live in a small town...nobody except my family around here has ever hunted it wild...and if you aren't looking...you aren't seeing....now some say it takes a keen eye..I tend to agree...you can spot 100 sarsaparilla before you spot one wild ginseng...course the giveaway is the berries...and it's distinct green leaf...my first time hunting...I found one plant as I constantly gravitated to the sarsaparilla...this first year planting been a killer...unusually high temperatures....cooling off next week...hopefully I have pictures to post next June.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37036

Don't count on that 2 million. A couple of grand yes.

Guy

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37056

I believe I can actually grow 2 million dollars worth...that is of course a outrageous amount of roots.. .but I believe in myself...my knowledge of the woods.....I picked with my dad 30 yrs ago...3500 dollars worth in one day....it was exciting.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37057

I believe I can actually grow 2 million dollars worth...that is of course a outrageous amount of roots.. .but I believe in myself...my knowledge of the woods.....I picked with my dad 30 yrs ago...3500 dollars worth in one day....it was exciting.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37079

I'm a new grower also. I just want to make enough for vacation and a few small toys every year. I planted my first pound last year. I planted small patches all over the mountain. I noticed that about half of my 3 leafers are already yellow or gone for the year while the other half are still looking good. Anyone have an idea if I should keep planting in the areas where the 3 leafers are gone. I have another pound coming soon.
In order for me to get 4 or 5 thousand a each year after 10 years, is 1 pound of seed enough or do I need to plant more? I was thinking of buying 3 pounds next year but its pretty tuff to get the seeds in the ground around my work schedule.
Buy the way, you guys grow some awesome sang! My stuff is older (15-20) years but ALOT smaller than some of the stuff I see on here.

Re:New grower 8 years 6 months ago #37108

Guy wrote:

Don't count on that 2 million. A couple of grand yes.

Guy

Guy is absolutely correct, 2000 is spot on. you would be better served by starting your patches with wild seed. Left on their own 99% of cultivated seed won't make it to the 15 year mark. I use 15 years because that is the length of time it has required me to obtain 3rd and 4th generation wild-simulated plants. I consider my patches self sustaining when i have 4 prongs that have seeded 3 prongs 2 prongs and 3 leafers. If you simply dig at the 10 year mark you have done nothing to ensure the survival and naturalization of your crop. Meaning once you dig it, its gone.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

Who's Online

We have 250 guests and no members online

Login