2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need advice from fellow Ginseng growers!

Need advice from fellow Ginseng growers! 8 years 11 months ago #35390

All,
I have bought seed and rootlets and I plan on planting them on my river front property. This location is very rocky and has a lot of sticks laying around. I already have naturally growing ginseng spread through out this area, 4 prong and 3 prong. I am curious as to what would be the best way to plant the seeds and rootlets I have coming in? I want to minimize the work but what to do what is best to provide the best return in the future. With all the rocks and sticks I cant really rake and plant like everyone else seems to do. I can remove the rocks but I dont want to disturb the area anymore than I have to both because of the ginseng that is already growing there and I dont want to raise suspicion to the area. I need some advice from experienced sang farmers. What would you do? How would you plant in a rocky area?
I have provided photos as well.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Need advice from fellow Ginseng growers! 8 years 11 months ago #35391

I do a lot of my planting now in very small patches.. to get closer to simulating how true wild grows.

I use a leaf rake and rake back a 4' x 4' space, or what ever size I can in a small area, you could use a very small rake and make that 2'x 2'.

Then put the seeds down something like 2 or 3 per sq ft... rake the dirt and leaves back on top and then walk over the bed stepping on every space good to make sure seeds get good soil contact.

I started off planting large beds (many 5' x 50' size), but over the past 5 years have leaned that my area is prone to disease, especially when planted thick and in large beds.

I have had much better luck at keeping disease at bay with small 4 x 4 type planting beds that are spaced out some.

It also makes it blend in better that way too. If you are looking to hide it better smaller beds will help.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Need advice from fellow Ginseng growers! 8 years 11 months ago #35393

I agree with TNhunter. Smaller patches work in better.

I have poor luck with rake and scatter (unlike most of these guys do), so I use other methods to plant wild simulated (I designed a seeder for that).

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 350 guests and no members online

Login