2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Little Protection!

A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34873

I have been watching the weather closely every day and tonight especially. I have not found any ginseng plants up yet, but I have found a few May apple and several Sessile Bellwort plants in a patch that is early emerging and ripening. I felt like I'd better take steps to make sure that any thing close to the top of the leaves would be protected even though I couldn't see any that were up. This morning I went out to my woodshed where I keep about 20 bags of Maple and Poplar leaves just for occasions like this . It took about 6 bags to add some protection on this particular spot. It's better to be safe than sorry. I hope none of you fellows have anything sticking it's head out yet.:ohmy: Good luck wherever you might live.

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34875

Checked mine today, Hugh. Nothing up yet but some ramps,thankfully.

Hillhopper

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34876

just wondering will you remove the extra protection after the threat of frost has past so the plants wont have to force their way through so much coverim not much of a grower but im trying to learn as much as possible because of my love for ginseng

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34877

Leebros,
These were Maple and Poplar leaves that were dry and even when they are wet the ginseng seems to be able to come right on up through them. If it had been Oak leaves I would have taken a rake and lightly gone over them to loosen every thing up. They can get sticky and be a problem. It is 24 degrees as I am writing this.

Hugh

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34878

Here at my house this morning and yesterday morning, the low was 34 degrees. Not as cold as they thought.. but now that is on my back porch (house up on a ridge)... no doubt down in the hollows it got quite a bit colder.

I have not found any 3 leafers up yet and glad of that

Hoping that the 34 degrees up here on the ridge (where my orchard is planted)... means that my plum, peach, apple and pear trees are OK. My Plums have bloomed and now have leafed out with most blooms gone, and my peach trees are at a point where just a few blooms are open but the rest are still budded up.

Hoping they all survived this little cold spell.

Good luck to you all at what ever stage of spring you are at.

Now that I got past this morning... the next 10 days are not showing any risk of frost.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34881

Fellows,
East Tennessee must have been right in the center path of the cold air. The temperature fell all the way to 19 degrees this morning. Like Bob said, that would really damage any fruit buds and any ginseng that was close to the top of the leaves. I'm glad that I put that little bit of extra protection on yesterday.
As always, I hope that everyone fared well last night.

Hugh

Re:A Little Protection! 9 years 2 weeks ago #34886

We had 22 degrees here thqt morning...

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 377 guests and no members online

Login