2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: The latest you can plant?

The latest you can plant? 9 years 5 months ago #33415

Was needing to know when is the earliest i can plant and what is the latest. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:The latest you can plant? 9 years 5 months ago #33416

Hawk84,
I have an early maturing strain of ginseng and I planted it in July. I'm in Tennessee and there may be a few more southerly growers that can get some mature berries a little earlier than that. Several guys on the board have planted all the way to late March or early April with stratified seed and have been successful. You've got to be careful to not damage any emerging tails with seed that is that far along. No mashing into the ground or hard tamping. Keep an eye on your seed and it will tell you if something has to be done, or it's too late. Good luck.

Hugh

Re:The latest you can plant? 9 years 5 months ago #33423

Hugh Hartsell wrote:

Hawk84,
I have an early maturing strain of ginseng and I planted it in July. I'm in Tennessee and there may be a few more southerly growers that can get some mature berries a little earlier than that. Several guys on the board have planted all the way to late March or early April with stratified seed and have been successful. You've got to be careful to not damage any emerging tails with seed that is that far along. No mashing into the ground or hard tamping. Keep an eye on your seed and it will tell you if something has to be done, or it's too late. Good luck.

Hugh

thanks for the info.

Re:The latest you can plant? 9 years 5 months ago #33425

I was told by lenno and Billy Taylor your safe they November and early December. But if ground freezes before then depending on location its probably to late. I'm in Central western Kentucky

Re:The latest you can plant? 9 years 4 months ago #33710

Depends on where you are. If your in the southern end of the range where the ground never really freezes solid you can plant any time during the late fall to early spring. I'm in the northern end of the range and I have a pretty small window to plant. I have a lot of oak trees so I have to wait till their leaves fall which is late Oct. That way I can mulch them into a smaller size with a push mower. However the ground usually freezes up here by mid-Dec so all my seed has to be in the ground by then. The big thing is you don't want to plant before the leaves fall or after the ground freezes.

Re:The latest you can plant? 9 years 4 months ago #33716

We have freezing weather here starting last week. I'm planting beds today and tomorrow. I normally like to get my stuff in the woods done in late August and the beds here at the house just after that. Just too much to do this year. The transplants are in the mud room thawing out (they are frozen into a block with peat) and I'll put them in tomorrow.

I think everything will be ok, but still, its much nicer to have them in the ground while you still have nice weather and don't feel rushed by bad weather.

Since you are farther south than I am, I'm sure you will be just fine. I wouldn't advise you wait too long though.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 368 guests and no members online

Login