2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown)

Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32061

I have bought seed from wildgrown and from another northern seed supplier (cultivated seed)...

Had good germination... and good first and second year growth... but then many of them just sort of stall out... remaining lil 2 prongs for the next 2-3 years.

Many also expire...

This is happening even in areas where I have true wild growing and doing OK.

I just checked seed prices from my other northern cultivated seed supplier and he has gone sky high now... 190.00 / lb, 105.00 for 3000 seed, 44.00 for 1000 seed.

If I had seen the survivabilality from this seed (in my southern climate)... I would not mind the higher price... but I have not seen that.

I planted a lot of red berries on my place this year from my own seed bed and other seed producing roots I have transplanted to my place... so got some seed in the ground that I think will do well.

Just wondering if any of you guys has found a good southern supply - for example a state down around TN level north/south wise. Or in a state that borders TN.

I would really like to try some seed from a state real close to TN, and would prefer the seed be from woods grown or wild sim, rather than cultivated seed.

If I am going to pay a high price for seed, I want to get something that I feel better about it's chances of surviving long term in my hotter dryer southern middle TN climate.

It's OK if it's is expensive... as long as it's what I am looking for, that I think will have a better chance of making it in my area.

Anyone know of a source like that ?

Thanks

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32062

Email on its way...let me know if you don't get it.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32068

I'd be interested in knowing any places close to tn myself if anybody knows of any

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32074

3 years ago i paid 60 a pound it went to 90 last year and 120 this year now im seeing 190 per pound seed dealers are loving it

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32087

TNhunter, You're exactly right about the northern commercial seed. Most plants will expire after 4 or 5 years. I really don't know of any seed sources that might work in our climates. Maybe someone will post in our area. Castle's may be too far north.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32093

Should the seeds from the plants I have planted grow in the same area? I'm trying to stratify some. Don't have a great number of plants for the amount of seed I've planted. Got it from a friend that ordered a lot for several people here in western ky. I ordered some on my own from a couple of different places this year.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32097

Is North Carolina south enough?

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32103

Hmmmm I'm in Indiana and I buy seed from Minn., Mich., Ohio, Penn., & Wisconsin and all seem to run about 50% or so survive to reach age 5 and beyond.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32104

Tnhunter,
If you locate a southern seed supplier please let me know. Deer, or turkeys or something got most of my seeds before they ripened this year.

Re:Seed Sources - southern seed supplier (wild sim or woods grown) 9 years 5 months ago #32106

Vermontshang wrote:

i have experimented on this topic on a 12 yr study. THE VERY BEST THING TO DO FOR A MUCH HIGHER LONG TERM GINSENG HARVEST IS TO PURCHASE SEED FROM A SOUTHERN DEALER....most importantly the seeds you purchase must have been growing in that southern state for at least 5 yrs minimal !! THAT IS THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT!!...oh my study did absolutely fine up north when i purchased seed from down south!! 85% long term sustained, excellent harvest from the southern seed......good luck you guys

If this study exists, I would very much like to read it. What is the title? In which peer reviewed publication was it published? What year? Some of those claims go against my experiences and feedback. So, if you have proof otherwise in a study, please let us see it.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 594 guests and no members online

Login