2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify?

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #28998

Final photo.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29001

Shadow Man,
Thanks for following up with some pictures and information. I believe that I will end my thoughts about your growing site by reinforcing the suggestion of adding Gypsum to loosen your soil by overgrazing and adding leaf mulch to give more cover and moisture control to your plants. Some sticks laid across the leaf mulch will hold it in place when the winter winds are howling. You've taken on a worthy goal in trying to grow ginseng in South Dakota. Keep us informed as time passes and good luck.

Hugh

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29004

Thanks again to everyone for the great information.

I spend a lot more time here browsing than posting and have learned a great deal. I really appreciate the advice.

Gypsum and leaf litter. Got it!

Shadow Man

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29006

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
In KY we do not have that choice. It is the law to plant their red berries back where the ginseng is dug at the time of harvest.

Billy.

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29012

Shadow Man,
Like Billy says for KY, the law is similar in most stated to plant the wild berry/seed in the area where the wild plant was found. I think the general rule is plant the berries/seeds within 50 feet of the mother plant.

Now with that said, would it be possible for you to put your stratification box in the woods where you find the wild ginseng. Not sure if that is what the state intends and it may be bending the rules. However, if an DNR officer saw or questioned this I would surmise they may be a bit lenient if you explain it to them what you are doing. I think I may be able to explain it in a way were as I would tell them that many more seeds will survive using the stratification box than if just planted in the soil with a large portion of them left to be eaten.

Just a thought.
Latt

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29014

Latt,
I read yesterday where you had responded to a post that Shadow Man had made about moving to South Dakota 3 years ago. In it he stated that, \"South Dakota had no ginseng laws\". How does that work in regard to planting or moving seed to other places in the state or property?

Hugh

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29015

Didn't catch that, I was confused about his post. Thanks for pointing it out. I was just making a statement in general pertaining to Billy's post above about laws pertaining to planting seed in the area they were found which is what most states observe. I thought Shadowman was contemplating planting seed verses stratification box.

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29016

OK I went back and read Shadow Mans post from the other day about planting berries. He said the following:

\"We've always picked our red berries and then stratified them in wet sand for the next the year. Could/should we just be planting them? We end up planting the stratified seed back on the same property anyway.

Any pros or cons?

Thanks,
Shadow Man\"

That's the post Billy referred and the one if referred to.I see your point if he doesn't have rules in South Dakota then it makes no difference.

Oh well sorry if I confused anyone. lol
Latt

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29017

I understand what your saying and I get your point. I guess I was just wondering what you can do in states that don't have laws like South Dakota or maybe Maine. I know that I skirt around it here in Tennessee, but I have talked with the Wardens and asked them about it. They say they won't prosecute for planting seeds. I'm still at it and you guys may have to come and bail me out some day.:lol:

Hugh

Re:Red Berries... Plant 'em or Pick and Stratify? 9 years 9 months ago #29018

Surely these laws would only apply to true wild ginseng anyway. If one grows ginseng and had it say 1 plant per square foot, it would be stupid to try to plant the seeds that close. I think anyone who is planting extra seed, or moving seeds from their own plantings to other spots are doing ginseng a lot of good, and cant imagine how they would be hurting anything.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 363 guests and no members online

Login