2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: No growth

Re:No growth 9 years 8 months ago #28830

You can't take the wild out of wild simulated.

Awesome line! Very true.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:No growth 9 years 8 months ago #28832

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. At the same time, I'll prepare for the worst and plant another 1/2 pound of seed throughout the woods this coming fall.

Re:No growth 9 years 8 months ago #28836

There have been some really useful comments to you post above. I would add only this...

I have found that refridgerator storage *sometimes* gives that delayed response mentioned. However, short-term storage (a few days maybe a week) has given me excellent germination. For example, I live well away from my patches, I have the seed I buy delivered. To my home, Avery close to the time I am planning to plant, and then it goes into the ground. Like within a week of my getting it.

Well, I will also add that predation by the critters out there is a real problem. Voles chipmunks, and mice get the seed before it has had a chance to come up. Deer are like lawnmowers for our crop. Find a good tree to go up with your climbing stand near every patch you put in.... This is helpful.... Slay a few of them near your patches, and it will help.

Don't give up! Check every place you!ve planted next year, and you might be pleasantly surprised....

Re:No growth 9 years 8 months ago #28842

Like everyone is saying, don't give up hope. Some of those seeds may still germinate. When you got your seeds, many of them should be \"smiling\". In other words, the shell of the seed has begun to break open. You may also want to try scratching a small (1/4\") divot in the soil with a hoe, and then hoe the soil back over the seed. Watering seeds in with a hose or water can, after you plant, can be beneficial. If your new to it, check out the book http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Marketing-Ginseng-Publisher-Mountain/dp/B004WW8CVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404598127&sr=8-3&keywords=growing+ginseng+scott+persons

Re:No growth 9 years 6 months ago #31297

By the sounds of it you planted before all the leaves fell off. Could be the leaf layer may have been just too thick. I had this problem when I planted test patches. The only patches that survived were planted under pine trees.

Re:No growth 8 years 6 months ago #37133

I've been storing in fridge..but taking out everyday to plant....my fridge isn't down to 35 degrees...could I still have a issue?

Re:No growth 8 years 6 months ago #37142

YOu might. As a general rule, you want to keep your seed about the temperature of your ground (air temp in a cool spot is fine). There is some speculation (not aware of any studies) which would suggest keeping seed in the fridge and then planting too soon (before the temps match) might cause delayed germination.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 331 guests and no members online

Login