2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Starting to sprout here in Ohio

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17369

I'm envious of you all. I planted 4 pounds of seed last fall here in upstate NY and none of it is up yet. I have also checked on a few patches of mature wild plants and they too are still yet to emerge.

We finally got some rain after weeks of nothing but with high temps in the the low 50's and lows in the 30's every night, I'm not holding my breath to see any come up this week either.

Looks like I'll have to call an old longbeard into my patches on the opener next week. Make em gobble to remind the ginseng it's spring.lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 10 months ago #17455

I got out and checked on this plant, and it finally made it up. I snapped a pic with my cell phone, but the old phone is acting up and I can't get it to save to the computer. It is a really nice four prong plant with one of the prongs havin 6 leaves (the other 3 have the normal 5 leaf pattern). The leaves are a little rough around the edges, but otherwise looks to be in good shape. I'd say that any ginseng that is going to emerge in my local area is up now. A lot of them have just came up in the last week though.

Billy wrote:

-5- That sounds good and seems that you may have a good showing this season.

Have yo had a chance to check on your big root from here last season to see if it is going to come up,I sure hope so i can just imagine the size of that green top and it would have a very tall berry steam and pod,man it will be a nicen :o)

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 10 months ago #17466

It's really great to see the \"lil ones, yes?

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 10 months ago #17467

Whit - This was a big 4prong plant that I found while ginseng hunting with Billy in the mountains of KY. I've got it planted in a pretty good spot all by itself. I've also got a seed producing area that I tranplanted a lot of 3 and 4 prong plants last fall. I Checked on them the other day and they are doing really well so far...

I also planted 3/4 of a pound of stratified seed last fall and it came up good and is looking healthy thus far.

After waiting 7 months I must say that it was very pleasing to check on them and even more pleasing to see that they came up and were doing well:)

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 873 guests and no members online

Login