2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Starting to sprout here in Ohio

Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17244

I ventured out yesterday evening to see what I could find. Thought maybe I'd find a few morel mushrooms or deer antlers. I also checked on some of my ginseng plantings. The first couple of areas didn't show anything. The 3rd spot had two seedlings that had just pushed through the ground. The leaves weren't even unfolded yet. With warmer temps and rain in the forecast this weekend the sang should be popping up.

I also found one wild 3 prong that had already straightened its leaves out, but I know where many more should be, and could not see any signs of them yet. It shouldn't be long now though.:cheer:

I didn't take my camera along yesterday because I truly did not expect to find any sang up yet. I'll try to get out in the next couple of weeks and get some pics.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17246

Sounds like a good walk in the woods!

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17247

Last I checked my plantings was last Friday (Good Friday) and I would say about 1/4 of my stuff was up then.

I checked my seed producing bed a couple times this week and more progress is being made there.

It has been quite dry here for several weeks.

I have worked in my garden beds some and it is just dusty there.

We really need some rain here. Hard to see that in the spring (already this year), after what we went thru last year.

Hope this is not a sign of what is to come later this year.

My 7 day is showing a 60% chance on Monday and 20% on Tuesday. Hope some of that pays off.

I guess a dryer than usual spring might produce less ginseng fungal issues.

Good Luck to you folks.

I am going to be tied up most of this weekend with busy work. Hope to get to check my seng beds again next weekend.

TNhunter

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17248

I hear ya TN, I checked my new beds and some have come up but I think the seed need more moisture before they do anything. A lot I found just barely had little tails trying to push out. All of my older beds are nearly full but they had their root to draw their energy from. Hope this isn't a prelude to a long dry summer...

Hillhopper

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17249

It was a great walk in the woods the other night. We are getting a nice steady rain today. Hope you guys down south get some soon. With this rain and warmer temps there is no doubt in my mind that some morels will be popping up. I'm definately getting out to pick some mushrooms tomorrow. I won't be going to any of my prime ginseng locations although I have seen a little bit of ginseng in one of the locations that I plan on visiting tomorrow.;)

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17250

They are starting to sprout here in Wv also, (eastern Panhandle) along with the golden seal, bloodroot and so on. I think I have skiped spring fever and gone staight to sang fever!!

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17255

That rain shower on Sunday did the trick for me. They're really coming up now, last fall's planting, and even the batch of seeds I put out at the last minute is doing well - surprising as those seeds were showing roots when they arrived.

Was getting a bit concerned as I had seen a few sprouts, plus the bulk of the 2-3yo roots were already up, as was the local bloodroot, trillium,and jack, but almost nothing from the areas I seeded last fall. It was starting to look like last year's rather dismal results with what was probably less than stratified seed. Went out to check Monday afternoon and... seedlings popping up everywhere. That's more like it.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17256

Dry here sas well, for about a week. My backyard patch I can water, my mountain patch is only subject ot the weather. I can't wait to get back up ther.

Backyard patch has 3 leafer all thru it, however not fully emerged yet.

I'm with you guys, in hoping for a wetter summer than last year!

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17257

We got a good rain early Monday morning and then again today it has done a nice slow rain about all day.

That should push the rest of the seng up and out.

I checked my seed bed this morning and there were 35 of the 44 showing tops.

Last year only 42 of the 44 roots actually sent up tops.

I hope to get out and check my plantings this weekend. If I do will probably take and share a few pics of what I find.

I especially want to visit that spot where I planted that root Billy sent me that had a 5 prong top last year. It was not up yet on Good Friday, but may be by now.

TNhunter

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17261

We received some rain up this way (N. Central KY), as well, but my guage only read about 1/4 inch or so. More coming in a few days and soil moisture is actually pretty good, so all is well for now in this area.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of that 5 pronger!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 450 guests and no members online

Login