2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pulled seed and planted today

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 5 days ago #17273

Took another quick look at my spring planting of two weeks ago. Last night, I only noticed a couple of sprouts. This evening, it looks like they have all busted through the mulch! Looks like robins or something have been raking the mulch around getting at bugs or worms.

johno - planting 5 pounds at once really is a lot of raking. The most I have ever done at any one time was 2 pounds - and that 12 years ago when I wasn't feeling so old! :laugh: Glad to hear your efforts and investment appear to be showing some action!

guy - quite a few of my 3 and 4 prongers are showing big seed heads at this time. Hopefully, nothing will mess them up before being loaded with those bright red berries! ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 5 days ago #17275

Those photos are great.

As for \"easier way\" hmmm... not sure that's a factor. At least not over here!

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17301

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
kchacha wrote:

And, yet, right in the same beds/area, other plant have been up for nearly two weeks, now. These older plants are all from the same seed source - now 6 years old from planting time, I believe (will have to check my records). Notice the iron phosphate pellets to reduce the slug populations.

kchacha very nice plant and is that wild ginger growing around the ginseng plant ?

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17302

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
kchacha wrote:

And, yet, right in the same beds/area, other plant have been up for nearly two weeks, now. These older plants are all from the same seed source - now 6 years old from planting time, I believe (will have to check my records). Notice the iron phosphate pellets to reduce the slug populations.

kchacha very nice plant and is that wild ginger growing around the ginseng plant ?

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17304

That sure looks like wild ginger - I'm up to my eyeballs in the stuff on one hillside.

The rest of that very late planting appears to be coming up - the one week dry spell we had didn't help any, but I just checked after last night's rain, and more are up. Finding a few 2 prongers where I don't remember planting any, that was a pleasant surprise. On the downside, about half of the roots I transplanted last year didn't come back up this year. Well, you can't make money buying and transplanting roots anyway, was just trying to get a jump start on seed production.

Speaking of raking... a neighbor has a self propelled brush mower they're looking to sell. I wonder... drill the blade and mount dethatching tines... that might do the job nicely. I tried a tiller behind an atv, but that didn't work very well, kept hitting rocks.

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17306

Billy - Not ginger, violets. The past couple of years, they have taken over everything - sunny and shady. :angry:

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17307

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Well them seemed to favor our ginger so much,but they also seemed somewhat different that was what made me ask,they sure are close in feature,thats neat.

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 12 years 2 days ago #17310

I bet you all are referring to the Asarum genus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asarum , as they look real similar in leaf shape.

Strolled through some of my patches and found a few more plants popping up after last night's rain. Cooler today (only got up to 50 or so), but at least no frost predicted. I would imagine not more will be coming up at this point. At least what is up is looking good with good flower heads forming.

Re:Pulled seed and planted today 11 years 11 months ago #17511

As best as I can count (sorry, ran out of fingers and toes!), I have a 75% sprout rate on my spring planting. I'm very happy with that, considering how advanced some of the seeds were when I pulled them out of the stratification bed. When you find a 1.5 inch root and a half inch sprout on the seed, you know you are a bit late... :huh:

I didn't take photos, but those little 3 leaflet plants look really good after last weekend's rain!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 257 guests and no members online

Login