2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Goals

Re:Goals 12 years 3 weeks ago #16997

Well, I was thinking about this post while driving to work yesterday and today. [Got a long commute 50 mins each way]. Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid here...

However, here's what I was wondering about.

When I log on, there's a right side script that states how many guests and how many registered users are online. I've noticed that there's usually a whole bunch more of \"guests\" online than the rest of us.

And here's my Question: do you think that we are sharing our personal business plans/trade secrets too much? With the \"guests?\"

Just thoughts out of my big muscle inbetween my ears....

I mean to say as well- I am appreciative of the interactions here on this website. The frank discussions are really great. I get to e-meet folks like yourself, and work out tips and practices. I also think that if the guests want this sort of stuff, they should register, like we all did.

My 50 cents worth [used to 2 cents worth, however everything has gone up now that we are in the recession!}

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Goals 12 years 3 weeks ago #16998

Whitjr,
I actually think the guest counter starts at thirty. I may be wrong but I have never seen it below that.

Hillhopper

Re:Goals 12 years 1 week ago #17109

On my third year. I suppose, like a lot of people, I got into this with visions of making lots of money. That went by the wayside pretty quickly. Now, it's become a quest to learn how to get this persnickety little plant to thrive. Each year, I learn a bit more, and a lot of this has to be learned by experience. Every piece of land is a bit different.

Just planting seeds has been an experience. I tried a couple of seed drills, only to find that they were more trouble than they're worth. Good old rake and scatter seems to work the best, actually deep rake, scatter, and cover with dirt. Has me wondering how to invent a hillside tiller... I was looking at a hillside mower the other day, thinking that maybe it could be adapted.

Exploring other ways to market it, even though that's a long way off. As I work in software development, I have a couple of contacts into China, but direct export can be a real minefield - real easy to get stiffed. I have a web site design in mind for regional sales, and yes, quality media is essential: top rate photographs (another hobby of mine) are essential.

I'm concerned about the Chinese economy. Can I get this crop marketed before it goes bust? And it will go bust, just a matter of when. Even mature societies have trouble with that sort of explosive growth. One that's elevated itself from an agrarian society to high tech within a decade is likely to founder. The people working dirt cheap over there will eventually become dissatisfied. The absence of regulations that makes doing business there so easy will backfire, as their environment degrades and workplace accidents rise - both are happening. Changes in technology such as flexible manufacturing systems can negate much of the advantages of cheap labor. Or they may be done in by overconfidence and hubris, which is essentially what took down the Japanese economy in the early 90's. Remember when they were going to buy us?

Not worried about competition, though. If there is one thing I've learned in the last three years, it's that ginseng farming requires dedication and patience, and the right land. I have the third, working on the first two. It's not for the quick buck artists. So this hobby has gone from making money to just seeing what it takes, more a quest for knowledge than money now.

And, heck, I wasn't doing anything else with those hillsides.

Re:Goals 10 years 9 months ago #22894

Been awhile since i posted here, hope all has been well.

I see alot of the same names here so that is a good sign. Very intelligent people here and i always leave this forum with a new nugget of information.

My goals are still in the \"johnny dreamer\" stages. I picture myself not having a 9-5 job, out in the woods all day prancing through lush beds of 5 prongs......no such luck as of yet.

I planted 5 pounds 3 years ago. Several different locations on the same acerage. All plots are growing, some better than others, and overall i would guess that i have a 30-40% survival rate sofar. That may be a bit generous. I have never sprayed for anything and only spread slug pellets once. I spread calcium the first and second year only. Other than that mother nature has had full control.

Some plants are young 3 leafers, as if they sat dormant for the first few years. Most others are 2 prongers with 2 fives or 1 3 leaf prong and one 5. The nicest one i found sofar in my walks has been a 3 prong all 5 leaf with a seed stem extending above the leaves. Overall height about6-8 inches.......this really shocked me to say the least but definetly rekindled the ginseng fire i had awhile back!

I cant say that i have a long term goal for this yet, i have a lot of other irons in the fire at the moment. Im glad that i started it and know that my ground, although not minerally perfect, will support ginseng and i look forward to planting more in the near future.

Re:Goals 10 years 9 months ago #22895

Whitjr wrote:

Well, I was thinking about this post while driving to work yesterday and today. [Got a long commute 50 mins each way]. Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid here...

However, here's what I was wondering about.

When I log on, there's a right side script that states how many guests and how many registered users are online. I've noticed that there's usually a whole bunch more of \"guests\" online than the rest of us.

And here's my Question: do you think that we are sharing our personal business plans/trade secrets too much? With the \"guests?\"

Just thoughts out of my big muscle inbetween my ears....

I mean to say as well- I am appreciative of the interactions here on this website. The frank discussions are really great. I get to e-meet folks like yourself, and work out tips and practices. I also think that if the guests want this sort of stuff, they should register, like we all did.

My 50 cents worth [used to 2 cents worth, however everything has gone up now that we are in the recession!}

Whitjr,

I came back across this post last night while re-reading some old posts! You make a very good and valid point but we should worry more about Ginseng Poachers that frequent the Ginseng Topic sites in hopes that someone will spill the location of their' Ginseng patches. I think that this is of more concern to everyone here more than someone just looking for some tips and information without having to register. I don't want to deter anyone from visiting this great forum site but maybe this site like other sites that have concerns with thief lurkers, should lock out viewing of any and all forums unless the person registers as a member! Just a thought!

Frank

Re:Goals 10 years 9 months ago #22915

Buckeyefist,
I think your experience thus far is typical for wild simulated. I have spots that are similar to yours. As you described some are better some are worse. I do enjoy watching them grow.
Latt

Re:Goals 10 years 9 months ago #22917

I agree with Latt.

You were wise to try plantings in different locations. I always advise folks just starting out to do this. First, they don't lose everything the first year and give up. Secondly, you will begin to have those questions which cause you to gain experience. WHY did the same seed do well here and not there? WHAT causes this area to feel different than the other area where the ginseng is growing better? etc.

I would say if you are seeing ginseng progressing, you are ready to go ahead and decided how much you want to plant each year and try to stick to that. I have one successful ginseng farming customer who started with a pound, then two, then five, and now he is planting ten pounds each and every year.

Keep up the good work Buckeyefist

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 558 guests and no members online

Login