2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: On the subject of Green Seeds

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10240

If a dealer sold you green mixed with stratified seed or green as stratified they know and are purposely rippin you off! The two are totally different visually and by smell or any other test.

I find it hard to believe that suppliers would do this, there can be other reasons for your problems. Like using seed that has been stored over winter, instead of planting in the fall right out of the stratification box, you may get seed that will delay it's emergence. Tempature flucuation during stratification can cause this also. Maybe a poor site selection.

So it's best to know your stuff before pointing the stink finger.

You can trust my ginseng roots and seed though.:whistle:

guy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10241

can't tell, but they are still healthy lookin. get a real camera man.

guy

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10242

IS HE SAYING THE SEED ABSORBS IT'S EMBRYO FOR THE NEXT SPRING?
- you can still see the embryo on stunted seed , it can't go backwards, but it can have it's emergence control put out of wack by temperature issues.
there are studies done on this temp. and delayed growth cycle.

guy

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10243

I am getting very interested in this problem a few are having with poor seed emergence and no visible embryo's.
If you guys could get twenty or more seeds together and send them to me thru the mail in a letter envelope(cheap like).Just put them in a plastic bag with a pinch of moist peatmoss, I'll check them out and confirm the issue with you. Check out my website for mailing address. All seed should have embryos,even green.

guy

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10261

I want to stress that splitting your seed open before you buy checks two things out, disease and embryo growth.

guy

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10265

The publication measurments are a little on the small side.

guy

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10349

I've been off-forum for a couple of weeks, recovering from a muscle tear. I've read this post with interest, and share some of your concerns.

I didn't split any seeds and look at them under a microscope as suggusted. I did however split a few seeds from each vendor to see how they looked. All appeared strong.

I also did a germination test prior to planting, and the results looked promising, 61% germination from Hardings, and 90% from Wildgrown. I planted the seeds right away after the germination tests was completed.

I did however have poor germination out in the wilds nonetheless, from both sources of seed. I last looked 3 weeks ago there. I had a 3% from one and 4% from the other.

Now, I am a realative newbie to this planting of 'sang, and perhaps I did a poor job somewhere in the plantings.

I think I'll do that new qualifier, as suggusted early in this post, to determine the quality of the seed I get this year.

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10352

There maybe another reason for the poor germination and no visible embryos,some times all the seed will smile and get small roots 1/4 to 1/2 inch long, not long after coming out of the stratfication box. They are very delicate and it is not unheard of for some people to shake them off, because the seed has begun to grow and it is impossible to plant without killing the root.Shaking breaks the roots off and the seed looks fine.
To get the seed to reverse the smile they just dry them out slightly,then after we crack them open the embryo is gone, but the bean is healthy for awhile.They spin a story about next year and then when next year comes ,they don't garantee two yearold seed!

Hope this is not the case but it's theonly explanation for know embryo.

GUY

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10354

One thing to keep in mind is that the ginseng seed embryo does develop a little more after coming out of the stratification box and before germinating the following spring. When you purchase seeds they are techincally only a little more than 1 year in the 18 month stratification process. Of course the embryo would still look healthy a fill up most of the seed kernel. Just something to think about.

Re:On the subject of Green Seeds 12 years 10 months ago #10355

Rural Action Forestry

Perhaps you missed the earlier part of this post. where we were talking about the size of the embryo when it comes out of the stratification box versus seeds that show no embryo in the spring after planting.

Here's pg 2 check out photo of embryo.

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...en-Seeds/Page-2.html

classicfur

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Who's Online

We have 440 guests and no members online

Login