2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you cook morrell's ?

How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9297

Hey Guys,

I got out and walked around a couple hours this weekend and just when I was about to give up I found this little one just out from the base of a dead poplar tree.

I know almost nothing about shrooms but have watched a few youtube vids on morrell hunting and just got out and gave it a try.

This one looks kind of dark.

Can any of you tell me exactly what kind it is ?

I am going to soak it in some salt/water solution over night.

Is that what you recommend.

It will only make bite or two but I plan to give it a try.

What is your favorite way to cook morrells ?

Thanks

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9298

Attachments:

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9299

Attachments:

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9300

Also...

Here is a pic of what my seed producing bed is starting to look like now.

Attachments:

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9301

On down the bed a little ways that root that had two 3 prong tops last year is up now. Looks like it is going to be a double top 3 again this year.

Even though both of those tops are off the same root one was up a few days before the other one broke thru the leaves.

Attachments:

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9302

And on down the bed a bit here is another 4 unfolding...

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9304

TN, Nice Ginseng pics!!!!
On the morel, split it half long ways. Rinse it off then roll it in flour. Drop it into a skillet of medium hot olive oil or butter or a mix of both. Fry each side till it is golden brown like fried chicken. Sprinkle a little salt on it and there you go.
Your mushroom is what they call a \"Black\" morel. They rarely grow alone. They are harder to spot than the Gray's and Blond morels. So I would go back to that spot and take a knee and give it a good look at again. I have seen people including myself do this and find a dozen or more within a 15 x 15 foot area after someone gave up on that spot moments earlier.
Latt

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9305

TNhunter

Nice looking plants! With your warm weather, the rest will be up soon.

I'm getting tired of waiting to see some green popping up. But it's always worth the waiting. I think I will start seeing some in 2-3 weeks. It's been in the low 50's and will be 60's this week.

classicfur

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9308

Great advice on everything. That is how I usually cook them too, althogh you could saute' them or with just one you may even want to cut into small pieces and saute' it and then create an omelet. I'm with Latt though-- there are probably more in the area that one came from.
Latt wrote:

TN, Nice Ginseng pics!!!!
On the morel, split it half long ways. Rinse it off then roll it in flour. Drop it into a skillet of medium hot olive oil or butter or a mix of both. Fry each side till it is golden brown like fried chicken. Sprinkle a little salt on it and there you go.
Your mushroom is what they call a \"Black\" morel. They rarely grow alone. They are harder to spot than the Gray's and Blond morels. So I would go back to that spot and take a knee and give it a good look at again. I have seen people including myself do this and find a dozen or more within a 15 x 15 foot area after someone gave up on that spot moments earlier.
Latt

Re:How do you cook morrell's ? 12 years 11 months ago #9310

Thanks Guys,

I had already looked up a few recipies and even watched a few youtube vids on how to cook morrells.

Most seemed to suggest butter so I stopped by wal-mart on the way home from Church tonight and got some real butter.

Others suggested overnight soaking them in water with a little salt before cooking them so I am trying that.

I have some fresh blackperch and bass filets in the fridge (got them Saturday morning) and will be cooking those up for dinner tomorrow night.

Will cook up that small morrell then too. Slice it in half long ways, little flower and fry it in that melted butter.

Latt - I spotted that little 2\" mushroom from about 10' away.

It was near as exciting as finding a big old 4 prong (I had been looking so hard and finally found one).

On the way over to it I looked real good to make sure I did not step on any and I did get down on my knees and looked the area all under that dead poplar and did not see any others.

I was looking it over real hard and up close too.

I wondered if that little 2\" morrell had just come up and perhaps others might come up there later on.

How long should I wait before going back down there to look around again ?

Next weekend ?

It is about a mile walk down to the place I found that one... so I guess it depends on how well I like the taste of this one I cook up - as to whether I will make that trip to check again :-)

Thanks

TNhunter

Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Who's Online

We have 544 guests and no members online

Login