2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: anyone know what this is

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28424

Hobler, looks like oysters to me. One of my favorites.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28426

Thxs lenno they were very good I place them at number 2 after morels but Im new to mushrooms n want to try all the good ones u ccan eat r

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28428

Yep I concur Leno, One of my favorites as well. Hobler, just wait till you try hens this late summer and early fall. Look at base of oak trees. Plenty of examples on the internet for pics. Enjoy your oysters.
Latt

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28434

Latt I do have some nice red oaks on my land do they need to b dead oaks or alive also have many old dead oak stumps.what do hens prefer? Also there's state land I hunt that loaded with oaks I can't wait. I sauted those oysters in butter today they were a big hit wish I had more they were gone in seconds. Will b hunting for more thxs for all your help with my new found obsession!! :laugh:

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28436

I have seen hens before and didn't know what it was. What is the best way to fix them? I have always fried morels and oysters rolled in flour, but did cook morels in butter this spring and liked them like that too.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28438

I'm not sure the best way to cook hens never found any lol. But so far my girlfriend n Ilike to saute with just butter n a little garlic we like the natural flavor. I eating tons of the ppheasant backs I'm finding them everywhere we saute them for awhile in butter n garlic then add version umm good. They have a strong taste we prefer the young ones there not as tough. I'veonly found 4 morels:( . but hope I've got a little more time to find them n just found my first oysters . there's just not enough time in the day.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28443

Leno and Hobler,
Yes Hens grow on Oaks only. Never found one on anything but an oak. They grow on Live Oak mostly and sometimes dead oaks. They are firm and meaty and pick when fresh. When they get huge and old they get tough and can smell. So a young hen can still be 25 lbs or more. A hen is fresh when the mushroom is white underneath and smells good and bug free for the most part.

There may be some beatles in them now and then or even ants. Just cut them up in quarter slabs and knock them on the table outside a bit to knock the bugs out if there are any. Sometimes there may be a pill bugs or centepeds in them too. However when really fresh not as many bugs.

Store the hens in plastic bags in the frige un-rinsed. Rinse them in cold water in the sink just before you prepare to eat them. They saute up great in olive oil or butter. Cook until golden brown. They hold up great in Spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce etc. You can pre-saute them for 5 minutes or so prior before putting them in a sauce. They are great diced up on a pizza too. You can pre-saute them for 5 minutes and then put them on the pizza as a topping.

The entire part of the mushroom is edible. The floret's are most desirable. However the big white meaty core is great too and can be sliced or diced up to use in a sauce or for saute.

Good luck fellas.
Latt

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28617

Are these oysters or something else
Attachments:

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28618

Are these oysters or something else
Attachments:

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 10 months ago #28619