2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible?

Is this Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible? 9 years 11 months ago #28172

Hey Mushroom Guru's,

Can you tell me whether this is Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible? I hope you don't mind me asking the question but except for Morels, I am somewhat clueless when it comes to good and edible Mushrooms. They both are big and I am sorry for not showing something for a size comparison and they growing on the lower trunk of a partially dead Maple Tree! The top one is about 6 to 7 inches across and the bottom one is close to 10 inches across.

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is this Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible? 9 years 11 months ago #28175

They are called Dryadd Saddles. Some call them Pheasant Backs. They are edible and I have eaten them, but I do not care for them. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give them a 2. They fruit in the spring and then again in the fall. One of the few edible mushrooms that have two fruiting seasons in the same year. They smell like water-mellon rinds.
Those in the pics have a little age on them but would be edible if you wanted to try them. Some people really like them a lot. Trust me tho you are not missing anything if you do not try them.
There are so many choice edibles out there in the spring, summer, fall and early winter that are \"Choice\" edibles and this ain't one of them. lol
Latt

Re:Is this Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible? 9 years 11 months ago #28181

Latt wrote:

They are called Dryadd Saddles. Some call them Pheasant Backs. They are edible and I have eaten them, but I do not care for them. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give them a 2. They fruit in the spring and then again in the fall. One of the few edible mushrooms that have two fruiting seasons in the same year. They smell like water-mellon rinds.
Those in the pics have a little age on them but would be edible if you wanted to try them. Some people really like them a lot. Trust me tho you are not missing anything if you do not try them.
There are so many choice edibles out there in the spring, summer, fall and early winter that are \"Choice\" edibles and this ain't one of them. lol
Latt

Thanks Latt! I am not sure I would want to try them but who knows. After seeing your reply, I read online that the old one's such as the two I found (i.e. size and color), are virtually unedible due to their toughness. The young one's are edible but it takes some preparation for use and suggestions were made to use them with their' flavor in mind, which most writers stated that they taste like fresh cucumbers. To be honest, there is very little I know of that would taste better or good with cucumbers cooked in with it, so I may decline ever using them.

I guess that in wanting to harvest and eat mushrooms like many others, I am mainly interested in mushrooms that taste great but also those that have many great medicinal properties.

Frank

Re:Is this Reishi or some other Mushroom and is it edible? 9 years 11 months ago #28188

Frank, you have to try \"Hen of the Woods\" in the fall. They are awesome!!! Not to be confused with \"Chicken of the Woods\" which many people like to eat but I walk past them now. \"Hens\" are much better.
I find a couple hundred pounds every Fall typically. Shroomdawg and I filled up a pickup bed with them one year.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 316 guests and no members online

Login