2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TN, LATT and other experts...

TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22697

I have been looking for 3 yrs now in NY for Morels.. Over the years I have found more ginseng and other plants, but never Morels.
Last weekend, I believe I may have found them. I took 3 pictures of the mass quantity of shrooms growing in somewhat wet area below large ash trees.
They look like they might be dying? I have saved the pics to my desktop. What eoyuld be the best way to post them for youe expert advice?

Regards,
G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22700

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22701

test using TN's way in paint
Attachments:

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22702

another
Attachments:

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22703

last one..
Attachments:

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22706

yes, that is a morel. them ones usually pop up later on the season.

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22711

digdug, Thanks for responding. I couldnt believe 93 views and your the only one to respond. Can you still eat them? Are the blacks? Will others come up?
And why do the look like they are on there way out. They arent as prominent as other posters pics.
Thanks again!!

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22715

g4747,

Sorry Friend but TNhunter is far from a Morel expert !

I have been hunting them the past 3 springs and have found 1 each spring :-(

Hardly enough to get a good taste of the things.

I would love to find a pile of them though - at least 4-5 which would make a good meal.

The ones I have found around here look a little different than yours - your stem is larger and the head is smaller, but still I would say that is a Morel.

Before I hunted them I did some research and there is a false morel (that can be harmful if eaten), but what I read on the false morel said the stem is not hollow (it is solid).

Yours is clearly hollow so I think you are good.

Below is a pic of the 3 that I found around here the last 3 springs. Mine were all about the same size and shape, but had some variation in color from light to dark.

Prize posessions they were !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22716

From what I've always been told, the one g4747 found is a 'doggie', or false morel. Still very good and tasty.

The one TN posted are true morels. The one at the top we call blacks and are usually the first to come up in the spring...sometimes snow falls on them. The one bottom left looks like what we call a grey, which comes up about the end of the blacks and normally accompanied by doggies. The one on the bottom right might be a grey, or it might be a yellow. The yellows are the big ones and easier to see. They start showing up about half way through the period of greys and doggies. Now, in my part of Ohio, I've found all four in the same woods within several hundred yards of each other on the same day. But, the blacks always first, followed by greys and doggies and then the yellows.

Re:TN, LATT and other experts... 10 years 10 months ago #22725

TN, Bcastle. Thanks
Bcastle, Is this what they refer to as half morel? And one page said not to eat these as they will cause cramps and muslce confusion.. Anyway, other sites said after this stage is when the blacks and greys come up. Any truth to this and would I look in the same area?
Again, Thanks for the info. This is a great site!

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Who's Online

We have 362 guests and no members online

Login