2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties????

Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #19818

I was just wondering if there is any talk among the Herb Dealers or from the Medicinal Herb Industry about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? I know that Ramps have a lot of medicinal benefit that a lot of folks are unaware of but would take advantage of, if they were aware of how beneficial they are. Yeah, they stink and the smell of a person eating them will be untolerable to persons not also eating them! However, I believe that they have benefits much more valuable than the stink level (LOL!!!) and could be considered for commerce on a much greater basis then currently being done! I grew up knowing that they are good for your' heart and circulatory system if taken in small doses (eating one or two bulbs and their' tops) on a somewhat daily basis. However, they have benefits that most researched information does not touch on. Those benefits are the ridding of worms and other parasites within the gastrointestinal system and possibly within the circulatory (blood supply) system, helping with gastrointestinal problems and other sicknesses when taken in higher doses(eating a dozen or more bulbs and their' tops) daily for a few days.

The following is information copied and pasted from a website about the benefits of Ramps along with the website's URL:

Health Benefits of Ramps

Ramps have similar nutritional content as their cultivated counterpart - the leek - also related to onions and garlic. Ramps are high in vitamins A and E which are essential to the formation of healthy teeth, bones and skin and a good working immune system, among other benefits. In ramps you'll find a wealth of minerals such as manganese, iron and chromium, important to the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and insulin. Ramps can improve the immune system, lower bad cholesterol levels and fight cancer, besides being uniquely yummy.

www.organicauthority.com/vegetables/ramps.html#s.abuumgeyqayaa

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20009

After 67 views, I would have hoped for at least one or more responses! Either there is no talk about adding Ramps to the purchase list of medicinal herbs or very few folks know what they are! If you eat enough of them, they will get rid of most of what ails you, get rid of some friends and even unwanted girlfriends.:ohmy: :P Really, no kidding!:)

Frank

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20025

Do you know the latin name or do you have a picture of this ? Never heard of this thing :)

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20026

Ok saw a ramp on search engine . Don't know that it grows here in Missouri .

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20027

shomeroot wrote:

Ok saw a ramp on search engine . Don't know that it grows here in Missouri .

shomeroot,

The scientific name is \"Allium tricoccum Aiton\" or just \"Allium tricoccum\". They generally only grow in the Appalachian Mountains from South Carolina (possibly extreme North Georgia) to Canada. I don't believe they have ever been found in Missouri but it is possible that they could be introduced in the higher mountains near the Arkansas border and also in the Ozarks. They need and like shade just like Ginseng but from my experience, I have found that they can survive on both the dark and dry sides of the mountains. In West Virginia, I have found them in really dry areas as well as growing along and around springs, creeks and streams.

Here, we love to sit down to well cooked Pinto Beans poured over crumbled Cornbread and a big helping of fried (taters) potatoes with a bunch of green Onions or slices of Onions on the side. However, the same is a delicacy (at least in my book) when you have Ramps instead of Onions!

Frank

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20055

Apparently there are conservation laws in place to prevent over harvesting because there is a market for it in Canada. It is listed as a species of special concern.

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 11 years 6 months ago #20065

bird nerd wrote:

Apparently there are conservation laws in place to prevent over harvesting because there is a market for it in Canada. It is listed as a species of special concern.

Although the Department of Interior no longer allows us to dig them in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, I have not seen or read about any conservation efforts for them here but will check. They are and were a part of our heritage and up until about 4 to 6 years ago, we were allowed to take one bag full! I know of some places in West Virginia where they used to be so thick and may still be, that you cannot walk 2 steps without stepping on them. However, since West Virginians love to eat them all year...especially before the tops emerge from the ground in the Spring, they may have taken a toll on the populations there.

Frank

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 10 years 7 months ago #23614

huntsman I am a dealer in wv and have no luck with finding a buyer for ramps I have asked several times and no one seems to be interested in them,and those big patches you speak of are still there in the remote places,lolbut they are getting thin in a lot of places.

Re:Any talk among the Herb Dealers about adding Ramps to purchase and re-sell due to their' medicinal properties???? 10 years 6 months ago #24713

paynters wrote:

huntsman I am a dealer in wv and have no luck with finding a buyer for ramps I have asked several times and no one seems to be interested in them,and those big patches you speak of are still there in the remote places,lolbut they are getting thin in a lot of places.

paynters,

If you have ramps...especially in the Spring, check with some of the Country/Home Cooking type restaurants that serve cooked/fried ramps of food cooked with ramps. When I lived in Dailey and later in Elkins, I could usually find a few restaurants that would buy them. The only problem nowadays, is that a lot of the Produce Shops now carry ramps all year long.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 410 guests and no members online

Login