2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holding Green ginseng

Holding Green ginseng 10 years 6 months ago #23964

One of my buyers has expressed interest in buying green ginseng as late as possible. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to keep ginseng roots fresh for long periods.

I bought some transplant roots from a well known dealer and few years ago and when they got to me they were already molded and I had to throw half of them out. That was a costly experience I don't care to repeat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Holding Green ginseng 10 years 6 months ago #24330

The best way to keep them fresh is to bury them back in the ground, but this isnt very feasible with large quantities. If you do try it you dont want the roots touching too much, and it must be in well drained soil. You may want to try just a few in sand to see how that does???

Re:Holding Green ginseng 10 years 6 months ago #24335

Thanks 5prong. I had heard about putting them in sand, but that you had to watch the moisture level very closely. I also heard about wrapping them in damp peat or sphagnum moss and putting them in the refrigerator.

I was thinking about dunking the moss in a light bleach solution to kill any bacteria or mold on it, rinse it off and let it dry till damp. Then wrap the roots in it and seal them up in one of those vacuum seal bags that takes all the air out. Hopefully with no air, it would stop any mold or bacterial growth and slow decay. Any thoughts?

Re:Holding Green ginseng 10 years 6 months ago #24384

Mills, if the roots are going to be replanted I think the moss w/ light bleach solution may work, but would be concerned that the refridgeration may cause a year of dormancy. If they are for consumption my fear would be that they would take on a bleach flavor. The only thing I have tried personally is burrying them in the ground, and it does work well but you will lose a little weight, and like I said that isnt really feasible w/ large quantities. Unless you have access to a backhoe, then perhaps... if you could keep what youre doing under wraps.

• Page:
Moderators: KYginseng
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds

Who's Online

We have 475 guests and no members online

Login