2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: black cohosh sw pa

black cohosh sw pa 9 years 1 month ago #34564

I haven't dug any black cohosh in quite a few years. I am thinking about digging again this year. Was wondering if there's any buyers around sw pa. Maybe wondering if there's aNY idea of the price yet. I talked to my local guy and he's at $2.50 dry. He's always lower than the prices I see from buyers farther away though. I would be willing to travel depending on price and the amount I dig.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 1 month ago #34696

I sold my black cohosh in Dec. to T&T in Westmoreland Co. for $4.00/lb.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 3 weeks ago #34807

TylerCounty wrote:

I sold my black cohosh in Dec. to T&T in Westmoreland Co. for $4.00/lb.

interesting TylerCounty, any estimates how much you made per hour digging it ?

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 3 weeks ago #34808

Thanks. That's only about 1 hour from my house. that a real good price. I'm definitely going to focus on digging more cohosh

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 3 weeks ago #34809

half hour from my house here in Indiana co.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 2 weeks ago #34870

Hey guys, I actually went back and checked my records and I got $5.00/lb. cut into sections no bigger than about 1 sq. inch in Dec. 2014. I can dig up about 40-50 lbs. wet in about 4-5 hrs time; which is about as much as I like to hump back to the house from the patch(about 1 mile). This cohosh is 3ft high or larger with some roots going well over 2 pounds wet. I have to use a hatchet to chop it up due to the size of the roots. I worked patches where the understory was nothing but black cohosh and bloodroot for more acres than I could dig. I'd estimate on an average day digging only black cohosh I make about $70-90, but you earn it. I spend a good hour chopping each evening and another hour washing with a high pressure garden hose. It beats someone telling you what to do in some cubicle...haha. One nice thing is that it only takes about 5 days for even the thickest cut chunks to dry. I live in WV now, but dig my cohosh in Washington County, Pa around where I grew up. Good luck fellas.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 2 weeks ago #34872

TylerCounty wrote:

Hey guys, I actually went back and checked my records and I got $5.00/lb. cut into sections no bigger than about 1 sq. inch in Dec. 2014. I can dig up about 40-50 lbs. wet in about 4-5 hrs time; which is about as much as I like to hump back to the house from the patch(about 1 mile). This cohosh is 3ft high or larger with some roots going well over 2 pounds wet. I have to use a hatchet to chop it up due to the size of the roots. I worked patches where the understory was nothing but black cohosh and bloodroot for more acres than I could dig. I'd estimate on an average day digging only black cohosh I make about $70-90, but you earn it. I spend a good hour chopping each evening and another hour washing with a high pressure garden hose. It beats someone telling you what to do in some cubicle...haha. One nice thing is that it only takes about 5 days for even the thickest cut chunks to dry. I live in WV now, but dig my cohosh in Washington County, Pa around where I grew up. Good luck fellas.

thanks so much for answering my question, I might have to give that a try for a few days this summer and see how it goes. I knew a guy here locally that spent a year stripping off the bark of prickly ash trees and earned over $20,000 for his efforts, he used it to put his daughter through college. He laid it out on canvas to dry and had drug enforcement helicopters circling his house and everything. He said it can't be done nowadays, he said classifying plants as \"organically grown\" put an end to just anyone harvesting this crop/

Re:black cohosh sw pa 9 years 2 weeks ago #34874

Good deal. I believe it about DEA folks...every fall we have regular low fly-overs around my place in WV. Planes and helicopters.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 8 years 11 months ago #35111

• ShadowWalker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I would be interested in finding a buyer for the black cohosh I dig up. There are a lot of cohosh around my place. Let me know if there are any buyers that would be interested in buy any this year.

Re:black cohosh sw pa 8 years 11 months ago #35112

• ShadowWalker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I would be interested in finding a buyer for the black cohosh I dig up. There are a lot of cohosh around my place. Let me know if there are any buyers that would be interested in buy any this year.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Who's Online

We have 639 guests and no members online

Login