2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: cleanliness?

cleanliness? 10 years 8 months ago #23128

exactly how clean does the black cohosh need to be. i wash mine and break the bigger clumps up to remove any rocks and foreign roots. is that good enough ? also what would be the best way to store it when it is dry.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:cleanliness? 10 years 8 months ago #23157

best way ive found to clean it is to spray it off, then break it up while pulling the junk out, then I always spray it off again......... if you have a small electric pressure washer they work great..... I used to have a 1300 psi and it was perfect for cleaning cohosh

Re:cleanliness? 10 years 8 months ago #23158

after it dries I still have to go back through it and remove the rest of the off roorts though.... as far as storing it after its dried I jut keep mine in a carboard box.... the best advise I could give ya is to stay away from it.. the pay aint worth the hassle

Re:cleanliness? 10 years 7 months ago #23675

I take three 5 gal. buckets of warm water after I use chicken shear scissors to cut the roots up between the places dirt and rocks hide in a small trash can between my legs then fill the first bucket just full but not packed. use one for prewash and the other for wash and next for finish. then dump the prewash and use the finish for prewash and fresh for finish. I change water often. I watch how dark the water turns. if you don't get the dirt off good it will have a light brown color to the skin after it dries. I get above market price for mine because it's nice and clean. I set on the porch and listen to music while I do this. then three days drying on racks I made from screen door screen. take in before dew falls each day. I make $4-$5 and hr for my time. it adds up. pays better than setting on the porch.

Re:cleanliness? 10 years 7 months ago #23680

Power washing is a good way to go. Black cohosh (like all the herbs other than ginseng) must be washed absolutely clean and have no dirt, mold or foreign matter in it. Wash it well, then break it up into smaller pieces and wash it again until it is completely clean. Be sure to break or cut it up smaller if you need to, to keep it from molding or spoiling before it dies.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 559 guests and no members online

Login