2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your questions and answers about Goldenseal herb
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fall planting goldenseal rootlets?

Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32465

Hi!

I want to plant a few test plots of goldenseal rootlets this fall yet. The info I've found on goldenseal planting seems to be all the place. Some people say spring planting only, others say you can plant any time the ground isn't frozen...etc.

Does anyone have any experience with fall planting goldenseal rootlets?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32467

I have never replanted roots but I would think the fall would be the time to do it. The rhizome would be developed as well as having next years growth bud formed just like ginseng. They say you can cut the goldenseal root into pieces and plant them to get multiple plants from one root to grow the following year. I think I would just plant the entire root though if it were me.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32470

Latt is dead on.

Being a perennial plant, I would recommend fall planting on general principle. Most perennials do best planted in the fall.

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32473

3 years ago I got some golden seal roots from a friend. He told me to trim the hair roots to about 1 1/2 inches long, divide in to 2 or 3 pieces and replant in raised beds. As far as I can tell from what I've dug to replant this fall I have somewhere around 4 times what I started with. My friend passed away this summer. Maybe some of you knew him as he was a retired game warden and root buyer here in Western Ky. Donan Jenkins. He helped me get started with ginseng and golden seal.

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32474

3 years ago I got some golden seal roots from a friend. He told me to trim the hair roots to about 1 1/2 inches long, divide in to 2 or 3 pieces and replant in raised beds. As far as I can tell from what I've dug to replant this fall I have somewhere around 4 times what I started with. My friend passed away this summer. Maybe some of you knew him as he was a retired game warden and root buyer here in Western Ky. Donan Jenkins. He helped me get started with ginseng and golden seal.

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32475

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32479

Thanks for the tips!

Re:Fall planting goldenseal rootlets? 9 years 5 months ago #32778

I have transplanted goldenseal in the fall many times and just about 100 percent came up in the spring!

• Page:
Moderators: jimsanger
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 347 guests and no members online

Login