2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expanding False Unicorn and other plants

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19619

I was going to use these pic's for something else but here ya go. I might as well let the cat out of the bag, last year i was trying to grow some by root cuttings but for whatever reason i neglected to properly water them.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19620

I read an article that said you can cut the root up in disc as small as 1/4 inch wide, however i only cut the root in half for my first try.
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19622

Even though i failed at making my cuttings sprout, i think i found a way to make false unicorn flower. this i think is important because it has a habit of erratic flowering, but the 2 plants that i experimented with both flowered, these are plants that never have flowered before to my knowledge.
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19627

So now i have a theory that if you put the plant under stress, you can make it bolt, which is go to seed like turnip greens in the spring. I think that by removing the leaves on the plants in the early spring it will make the plant form a flowering seed head. I am going to test this on about 50 plants this year. if more than half of those flower then i think i will be able to sucessfully gather some seed next year.
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19638

Awesome work there K_duce.

I appreciate your work and the fact that you are sharing it with us.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19647

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Kduce I have just noticed this article and I sure think that 1st star root photo is a nice take that is to me a beautiful plant I love to see a nice group of them standing whent the tops are white I also like to look at them in the winter when the leaves color a purple look and the trees leaves are brown and laying around them a good patch looks good at that time.

I do not know if any of you guys may want to try this and I am not sure at what time in the season would be a good time to try this but here it is

I buy alot of false unicorn / star root and alot of freshly dug if any one would like to try transplanting them and seeing how they do and grow I would be happy to work with you on it.Now as you all know the transplant rate is very high on my wild ginseng,but i have alot of exsperience harvesting and handling it,this would be new for me as well so it is just a thought and we would have to try and figure out the best procedure for it.

I saw that sevral was interested in having there own so let me know if you want to get some but also lets talk about how to handle it and what might be the best shipment for it etc.

Billy.

p.s.

As far as that goes I could get you just about any wild root to transplant,blood root,black cohosh,wild ginger,indian turnip,moss,wild yam,stone root,etc.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19652

I'm definately interested in up to a pound of fresh transplantable roots there Billy.

Being as it is a perennial, I would think right now is the time to transplant it if they are available fresh.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 7 months ago #19715

Thanks again K_Duce.
I know I'll be able to find it now if there is any around here. Those pics are so much better than any I looked at before.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 6 months ago #20763

I always thought there was a male and female with grub root? One is a flower he other produces seed.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 11 years 6 months ago #20914

Rickyc,
I also believe that to be correct, male plants and female plants, both flower with differences in the flowers, I was talking to a man in N.C. a few weeks ago about some seed and he told me they would not be ready until late october, so the plants seed out very late in the year, after finding out this information i returned to my patches to look for possibly some seed, I had some luck in finding some seed. I found 1 female plant that was almost 4ft tall with the seed head. it had about 200 pods on it. I only found a few female plants out of a couple thousand plants. That got me to thinking about some of the earlier posts about buying rootlets, I think if you buy rootlets for transplanting it would be possible that you may recieve all male plants and no female plants. If you currently have false unicorn on your property it may be a good idea to identify your female plants in the fall and make sure that you dont inadvertently dig the females since they are so limited in numbers compared to males. By digging the females you could in effect kill off any future generations of false unicorn in your patch.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Who's Online

We have 118 guests and no members online

Login