• Page:

TOPIC: Tiber and Ginseng

Tiber and Ginseng 13 years 2 months ago #8255

• BOYHUD17
  • BOYHUD17's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
In the past we've had some of the timber logged out on a couple places we own. I've always heard one of my uncle sayin there used to be seng in those spots that were logged. And now the timber is pretty much grown back up and i've looked in those spots but didn't find any seng. So does any1 know if the entire plant and root dies after the timber that's covering it get logged out, or does the root stay in dormancy till the trees grow back?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Tiber and Ginseng 13 years 2 months ago #8256

It depends on how much timber was removed. Often if it is selective cutting the canopy will open up a bit and the ginseng will get more light. Established older ginseng plants can actually thrive with a bit more light and the roots and plant top will grow larger and faster than it had prior to the selective cut. However, I can assure you when the canopy is opened up to much and the sun hits the forest floor with high intensity the ginseng may go dormant. However when it tries to come up each year it gets burnt and cannot recover and will eventually utilize all of the stored energy in the root. It will simply stop coming up in the spring and I suspect it can only attempt to do this for 3 to 4 years max. I had a my second best spot of all times get logged and the canopy went from 85 % to 40%. None of the thousands of wild seed that I planted there from the hundreds of wild sang I found there ever made it. They logged it in the late 80's and it is still open with an understory of Japanese Honeysuckle and other scrub brush. I cannot find any sang in there and I had left plenty of immature ginseng plants that should be 20 years old or older now but they are not there.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Tiber and Ginseng 13 years 2 months ago #8257

In lots of cases I have found where plants that require more light to take over an area after logging. They then will provide the shade necessary for Ginseng to make it. The first year after logging i have witnessed the root to not be there but there after I have found it up under stinging nettle, thorn bushes and other taller plants. It makes it far more aggravating to look for and in my experiences, not hardly worth the trouble until some of that mess gets choked back out.

Hillhopper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 360 guests and no members online

Login