2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Something New I Have to Watch For

Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7635

Someone brought this to my attention today. There was a mountain lion sighted about four or five miles from one of the places I hunt ginseng. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to the outdoors, but when it comes to cougars, I don't know a darn thing. This is a rare thing for these parts, so I don't know how much I need to worry about it. I try and carry a little .22 pistol with me when I'm out. Between coyotes, dogs, and whatever else you may run into, I want to be prepared, but that little dude probably wouldn't have enough kick to slow one of those things down. I'll attach a link in case anyone is interested in the story.

www.wthr.com/story/13422074/deputy-spots...long-bedford-highway

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7637

Jacquo, I read the article, and find it humerous that the Indiana DNR says the same thing that most other midwestern states DNR's say. \"There is no population of cougers here.\" I'll tell you this, there aren't many in Ohio, but I spend a lot of time outdoors, and there are a few. I personally saw one while deer hunting about six or seven years ago, and have run accross a set of tracks since then. A person's chances of being attacked are probably very slim. Most cougars are going to avoid man if at all possible, but I agree that the .22 would probably have little effect unless a perfect shot to the brain. Other shots would kill it, but probaly not before it did a lot of damage to you. ...But like I said before, very very unlikely of being attacked by a couger.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7639

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I carry a 357 6 shot revolver because we have a couple in this area also black bears have become alot thicker than in the past.Of course I would never shoot either unless I had to,but if I had to I dont want them to get to me as 5 said and do alot of damage you no.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7641

I agree that the odds of seeing one is remote. Even more remote is the chance of it coming after you. They are probably more likely to run away than attack, but I would hate to be the guy that makes the news because he ran across one that was hungry, looking for a female, or just having a bad day. I'm like you Billy. I won't shoot something just to shoot it, but if it's him or me, I know which way I'm leaning.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7648

we have them in Vermont, and it took the past 10 years for the state to admit they were here, beautiful creatures

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7651

Here in middle Tn I seen one when I was a boy and just a couple years ago one was photoed on a motion cam. They are here Im sure but rare.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7676

Billy wrote:

I carry a 357 6 shot revolver because we have a couple in this area also black bears have become alot thicker than in the past.Of course I would never shoot either unless I had to,but if I had to I dont want them to get to me as 5 said and do alot of damage you no.

I usually carry 45ACP or a 9mm with hollowpoints when I'm out and about. More worried about smaller critters with rabies or something else wrong with them, or some idiot protecting his meth lab or pot patch. I've never had a lick of trouble in all of my wanderings, but just prefer to be prepared just in case. Just never know when you'll need it.;)

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7677

I've never had one issue when I was out and about. My uncle ran into a bow hunter one time, and according to him, the guy was an absolute jerk. It never escalated to the point of anything serious, but you just don't know who or what is roaming around out there and what they're capable of. I certainly never want to pull my gun on someone, but I have no problem defending myself.

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7679

5prong wrote:

Billy wrote:

I usually carry 45ACP or a 9mm with hollowpoints when I'm out and about. More worried about smaller critters with rabies or something else wrong with them, or some idiot protecting his meth lab or pot patch. I've never had a lick of trouble in all of my wanderings, but just prefer to be prepared just in case. Just never know when you'll need it.;)

Now a pot patch is a different story..... I have come up on one of those a few years back

Re:Something New I Have to Watch For 13 years 4 months ago #7684

You guys and your pistols, I'd love the ability to own one. Up here the liberals are trying to take our rifles away.

Don't be afraid of anything except maybe a big sow bear and her cubs. The cubs will walk right up to you, curious little buggers. If this happens lay down on the ground and make yourself as small as possible, head between the legs and try to kiss yer ass good by.

Seriously shouts or a loud noise will send everything running, it's the surprise encounter where the bear bangers are needed.

I've had wolves walk right by me, could have reached out and touched them. I guess the camo and scent wash was working good.

While working, I've never had any issue.
Once while scoutin for deer I heard this noise on the next hill, sounded like a faint wisper. When I got close there was my wife talking to two deer they were five or so feet away from her. Both looked like they were understanding her.

guy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 174 guests and no members online

Login