2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking Forward to the 2011 Season

Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7173

Some of you may have seen this article, but I want to post a link just in case. It looks like prices may be strong again next year. Also, this has been discussed elsewhere, but folks that buy stratified seeds will probably need to buy early. It doesn't look like there will be as much out there like there was in previous years.

www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/105114499.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7174

Jacquo

Good article.

In that article, the prices they are talking about are in reference to Culivated - Artificial Shade ginseng. I don't know if that really has any bearing on Wild or Wild Simulated.

About buying seeds early. Here is something I posted earlier.

In the News letter I recieved from Hsu's Ginseng in Wisconsin. Hsu said:

\"This year will be another entry in the history books for ginseng, with the recent natural disaster of over 4\" of heavy, wet snow that blanketed us on Mother's Day weekend that brought the ginseng growers of north central Wisconsin to their knees; this is only the second such storm in the past 108 years of Wisconsin Ginseng Growing. This resulted in a large amount of the ginseng in our area being damaged or lost. This will be affecting the price and availability of seeds in the next few years.\"

He also urged everyone to buy their seeds early.

I always try to place my order for seeds by August 1. And have them ship the first week of Oct.

You should treat your seeds if you purchase seeds from a Cultivated Ginseng Farm. And plant after a Good Rain.

I plan to Pre order my seeds in May or June next year.
classicfur

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7177

Classicfur,

I'm no expert by any means, and this is just pure speculation on my part, but the article says that 95% of the nation's ginseng is produced by Wisconsin. I'm not sure if they mean just cultivated or all ginseng in general. My thinking is that whatever the case, a major shortage in any type of ginseng will bring prices up in general. That's why I think if someone has a honey hole or two that hasn't been dug for a while, perhaps next year is a good time for a visit.

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7178

Jacquo

I used to live in Wisconsin And I can assure you, that 95% Of the Cultivated is indeed grown in WI. And its done in a relativly small area. Marathon County produces 85% of all USA Cultivated Seng and it is all grown under black screen(artificial shade). I used to drive through that area a half dozen times a year. Also would sell my roots to Hsu Genseng(one of the largest Growers in WI.). And I would have pure joy at seeing all that green growing so close together and if the berries were red, that was even better.

Perhaps the shortage on cultivated will effect the price of Wild any.

As far as how WI art. shade grown genseng compares to Wild. It's like compareing Apples and oranges or Mcdonalds and Montecito Steak House or Hamburgers and Steak.

Time will tell.

classicfur

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7187

I imagine that would be a cool site to see. I wouldn't mind traveling up that way one day to check it out.

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7207

Classicfur,
when you used to sell to hsu's could you usually get more money per pound than anywhere else? I ask because I live fairly close to marathon and was wondering if it would be worth the drive.
Thanks
kyle

Re:Looking Forward to the 2011 Season 13 years 5 months ago #7217

kyle1990

I found that Hsu's prices were one of the highest along with some others having around the same prices. His prices were never on the low side. I believe he offers fair prices for ones roots. But the last time I sold to him was over seven years ago. I think he treats people fairly and thats about all you can ask of someone nowadays.

classicfur

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and no members online

Login