2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: producing seed

producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6386

Does anyone have an idea of what soil conditions produce the most seed? In our area, it seems as if I have a hard time getting good seed off my plants.

Also, does anyone ever add a little gypsum to their plants?

Thanks,
Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6387

Bill

Are your plants Wild or planted yourself?

Calcium is definatly a key nutrient for healthy plants. You should send in a soil test to find out what levels you have of calcium and other nutrients.

Most state University have soil testing services.

Calcium levels should be at least 3000 lbs per acre on soil tests. If you are below 2000 lbs your pretty safe to add 5 lbs of Gypsum per 100sq ft. this fall and another 5 lbs. in the spring.

If you dont have a soil test done, I think your safe to add only 5 lbs gypsum per 100sq ft. by broadcasting it on top of the leaves.

Do not add more than this amount at one time or you may cause a \"soil Imbalance\".

I added 5 lbs gypsum per 100 sq ft. In the fall(4 yrs ago) when I planted seeds(Wild Simulated) and 5 lbs gypsum in the spring. Some of those 4 year old plants this year were starting to produce seeds.

Note: My soil test before planting showed about 900 lb per acre. After two 5 lb per 100 sq ft. applications of Gypsum, soil test showed about 3000 lbs per acre.

classicfur

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6388

We are planting wild simulated.

Thanks for the info.

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6390

Bglong

How old are your plants?

According to Scott Persons ginseng book, he says:

\"In a Wild Simulated setting, it may be seven or eight years before the majority of the plants are three pronged and producing seeds.\"

If you dont have a copy of Scotts book, I would suggest getting a copy. Also check out the growing articles on this sight.

Scotts book,

Growing and marketing Ginseng, Goldenseal and other woodland medicinals.

I would be lost without that book.

classicfur

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6393

I have about 600-700 we transplanted out of a walnut grove I
have had seng in for about 13years. I harvest and dry the good looking ones, but saved the ugly, unmarketable roots and transplanted them onto mountain land. They neverreally produced seed in the grove (real dry), and they have been devoured by deer three years in a row on the mountain land. Not that the deer didn't get their share in the grove too.

But the ones who have made it through have had few seed, andthese are 10 yr old avg roots.

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6397

bglong

My guess would be to start adding some nutrients, especially gypsum. Add gradually over a period of one to two years. Apply in the fall after the tops have died and in the spring before the root tops emerge.

classicfur

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6480

I always thought that 'sang around 4 to 5 years old as big 2 prongs or small 3 prongs began developing small amounts of berries? Can you guys that raise Ginseng say yea or nay to this?

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6481

WildCrafter

I beleive that In wild Simulated, the majority will not produce seeds until they are about 7 - 8 yrs old.

I know that in my Wild Simulated plantings 1-4 yrs old, I hade a few 3 yr old produce a few seeds. Small seeds. 2-3 prong.

About 10% of 4 yr olds also produced some seeds.

Very few 2 yr olds had the beginning of a flower, but did not produce seeds. The avatar to the left is a 2 yr old that tried to produce a flower.

I would hope by the 6th year the majority would produce seeds.

classicfur

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6543

I found the info below online on the N/P/K components of fertilizer.

Nitrogen helps plant foliage to grow strong. Phosphorous helps roots and flowers grow and develop. Potassium (Potash) is important for overall plant health.

==

Seeds come from Berries which come from Flowers/blooms.

Phosphorous helps with root and flowers.

I looked all over the bags of Gypsum that I have and could not find a N/P/K rating on them anywhere. I also looked on line a bit and could not find anything that mentions the N/P/K of Gypsum.

As a Organic Gardner I do know that Bone Meal is a good organic fertilizer and is high in Phosphorous.

Walmart has a rather new Bone Meal product that is not made from bone and it is rated 6/9/0 on N/P/K. I have used it in my garden on tomatoes and other veggies and had real good luck.

You can still get the real bone meal (made from ground animal bones) if you look around some. They have it at one of our local garden centers. It is rated 4/12/0 - a bit lower on Nitrogen and higher on Phosphorous.

When I was adding stuff to my seed producing bed I added 2 lbs of the walmart brand bone meal to it.

Since seeds come from berries come from flowers - and phosphorous is important for flower development perhaps adding a good dose of a organic phosphorous fertilizer like bone meal might help.

It sure helps on tomatoes in the garden - you have to have blooms to get tomatoes and I know for sure that bonemeal helps for that. A lot of gardners use it on roses and other bulb type blooming flowers.

Bone meal (the real stuff made from bones) is also a good source of calcium.

TNhunter

Re:producing seed 13 years 5 months ago #6649

bglong

Soil moisture is the most important element in growing for seed and root the wild sim way.

The plant gets it's nutrience from the first 3 or so inches and this needs to be moist in the dry season, the base soil should be good for drainage.

If wild grows in your area why add stuff. Just pick good spots to plant.I've seen it grow very good in a lot of soil conditions and when you start adding stuff you get problems.It even grows on the inside corner of my dog house where the floor meets the wall. Moisture!

NEVER ADD NITROGEN

GUY

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 488 guests and no members online

Login