* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to wildgrown

New to wildgrown 13 years 7 months ago #5836

Hey everyone!

I have been recently introduced to hunting Ginseng. I thought this would be a great thing to get into. I'm outside of Pittsburgh and am still discovering prized roots in my area. I'm glad to find a site with a large base of active members. But I wondered what the veteran members would tell an inexperienced hunter? Any tips, tricks, hard learned lessons or any of the like would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New to wildgrown 13 years 7 months ago #5837

Hi neight and welcome aboard. I think by reading the posts on here you will pick up a lot of useful tips. My best advice to a new seng hunter is to be a good steward of the woods. Only dig mature plants, always plant the ripened berries in the area that you find them, and always leave a couple of mature plants for seed. I live in Ohio about an hour east of you and this area has been and is still hunted pretty hard. I usually pinch off the tops of the ones I leave behind so that others don't come behind me and dig the same area and wipe it out. I'm sure if you have specific questions someone on here will try to help you out. Good luck and once again welcome aboard.

Re:New to wildgrown 13 years 7 months ago #5841

neight, Welcome to the site where most of these people have alot of Knowlege about and passion for the Ginseng.

classicfur

Re:New to wildgrown 13 years 7 months ago #5853

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
neight,

Glad to have you join us and as the others said you can find about any topic on the site and if you can`t find it then just ask a new question and we will do our best to help you out.....

I will give you a couple pointers but it may be something you already know.

Always make sure you know whether you are looking into public or private land for a hunt.Get permission if it is private.

With either private or public land I have found that it is a good rule of thumb to always check the North faceing slopes 1st.Once you find them find a good holloer,,my favorite place to check is a big drain with double or triple forks,even if the seng is not in one of them always search them all.Look for companion plants along the way such as,,,maiden hair fern,,,blood root,,,black or blue coash I prefer the black to be around,,also watch for certian trees around an area like,, maple and poplar trees im in Ky it is possible that a few other trees in your area could be a good marker.Once you get all of that together you should be able to locate ginseng.

I have said this often alot of time people get into ginsenging with out knowldge and that will walk you to death.You asked a very good question and I hope this helps you neight.

One last thing - Once you have looked as exsplained in the area above....If you have found ginseng in a decent amount or a good amount then be sure to check the other areas of the Mountian that you have permission to hunt....Look for wet areas on all of these other slopes whether they be west,east,south etc because there will be less seng in the hard or dry ground areas and most likely alot more snakes. ( that does not mean that there will not be some seng in that area just not alot,but I found a giant in a spot like that once and he was worth my efforts just that one )Also once again look for your companions,,because simply put there is more seng where they are at p.e.r.i.o.d.

Best Regards neight,
Dig Alot,

Billy.

Re:New to wildgrown 13 years 6 months ago #5876

Thanks for the advice guys. ill be sure to keep my eyes open for the companion plants. Now i just need to train my eyes to look for them :D

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 468 guests and no members online

Login