2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for New York sangers

Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5026

I unexpectedly posted in an improper forum. My apologies. I am located in the Fulton County area of New York. Originally from West Virginia. Will be vacationing there 9/24 to do some digging. Looking for someone to dig seng with or maybe provide tips on what area to look here in New York.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5065

Hi Carl. I haven't seen to many sengers from NY on here. I'm from Vt, so I can't help to much but I'd try and get permission to hunt where there is a good stand of maple, preferable on a north -east facing slope. That's just for starters. Use google earth if you see something you are thinking of looking at.

I'm not sure where it is found in NY, I'd imagine the dacks have some along Vt, maybe you can get some hints from buyers in NY.

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5069

Maya,

Thanks for the tips. I had just finished some research and your tips confirmed that Sugar maple is the choice area seng grows around up here. I'm not surprised that no New York sengers show up here. I did talk to one person that goes in the Catskills. I commented that I would go if he wanted to and I got stonewalled. Guess he was figuring I would cut into his honeyhole so to speak. Well thanks for tips. Good luck with the senging!

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5345

Hi CarlM,
I'm from NY. I'm 2 counties south of you, down in Schoharie. I've hunted on and off for 10 years, and got fairly serious about it this year. With my job, I get very little time to go rooting, so when I do, I go with my daughter. Toughest part of rooting around here is finding a buyer. Only guy i've found so faer, atleast the closest, is down in Norwich, which is just a little north of Binghamton. 2 hr drive for me. I haven't hunted seriously up north, but whats working against you up there, is you'll have frost in a week or so, where I might get another month, down in the Mohawk Valley.
Most of my action has been on north slopes, the ones so steep, you slide down 2 feet for every step up you take.
The maples, hemlocks, and ferns were also prevelant.
Good luck,
Seeker

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5808

Hey Carl,

I am just getting into sang' this year- I live in Putnam County, NY and I am 25 years old. I would be interested in going to look for ginseng up in the Catskills. I haven't found any around my neck of the woods as of yet, only spent 4 or 5 hours searching one hollow, though.

I am going to try to set up a wild-simulated grow on a 2 acre wooded hillside. I ordered a small amount of seed and will till beds onto the hillside to see how they do next year. If they grow well I would like to fully plant this area out.

If anyone knows about growing sang in the Hudson Valley, please follow my posts in the Growing section. I am going to post some pictures of my site.

looking forward to meeting other hunters/growers in my area!

best,
-SS

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 6 months ago #5979

Going to be staying in Lake George this weekend (for the antique show).

Anyone interested in showing me around the woods on Monday?

-SS

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 5 months ago #6112

NY SENGER HERE! hittin ya up from central new york. havin any luck in your neck of the woods?

Re:Looking for New York sangers 13 years 1 week ago #8929

Western NY senger (well will be, when I go hunting for the first time this fall). Do you guys know the closest dealers to western NY Chautauqua County?

Re:Looking for New York sangers 12 years 10 months ago #9842

I didn't find any ginseng in my area last fall, but a few friends told me of land nearby where they have spotted some ginseng growing.

I don't know any dealers or anything like that - it was my first year looking last fall as well!

Lets keep this NY thread alive!!

-SS

Re:Looking for New York sangers 12 years 10 months ago #9872

• sengfever
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As for all the NYers looking for a place to sell there roots, the magazine Fur,Fish,Game usually has buyers advertise in the fall months. Several of these buyers are certified to buy roots from NY as well as PA.

I usually end up having to mail my roots because buyers are often several hours away. I weigh them for myself then put the roots in a box with crushed paper inside to protect the root necks. I also insure the package for what I estimate it's worth after recieving the current prices from a phone conversation with the chosen dealer. I've got some strange looks from the postmaster for insuring a 2# box for several hundred dollars but insurance will cover the cost should the package become lost.

Cons...You can't interact with the buyer but if they want your future business they will treat you well. Every experience I have had so far doing this has been positive. Hope this helps!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 338 guests and no members online

Login