2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Storing seed

Storing seed 6 years 7 months ago #40281

What's the best way to store seed until planted? I'm afraid to plant in September in case it's too dry but I'm afraid if I wait to buy seed noone will have any left. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Storing seed 6 years 7 months ago #40282

I like to wrap mine in a paper towel and place it inside of a baggie and keep them in the fridge.

Storing seed 6 years 7 months ago #40290

Have you ever had problems with them going dormant that way? I've read on here where some of the others have.

Storing seed 6 years 7 months ago #40302

I can't say for sure if they have or not. I have had decent success with berries though

Storing seed 6 years 6 months ago #40358

I have started to store berries in the refrigerator only because I have noticed that there is a species of parasitic worm that feeds on ginseng berry pulp. Similar to the worms that feed on husks of black walnuts. So in the fridge they go.

Storing seed 6 years 6 months ago #40359

Two things:
First, I would be careful with taking the berries out of their immediate location with plans to bring them back in the future to replant. Id check with your local rules for doing such.

Second, the red berry pulp serves as a protective moisture barrier (natures refrigerator) to the seed inside, this is why I never pop the berry when I replant it. Planting the seed yourself compared to the plant just dropping it significantly increases the regrowth rate. If you are going to store the seed, keep them moist (not soaked) in a refrigerator. You could even take the seed out of the berry at this point and just store the seeds. There are a number of options but keeping them moist and cool are the key.

Just my two cents

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 416 guests and no members online

Login