2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: anybody..

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40178

Archon a lot of animals spread ginseng berries other than birds. Groundhogs and deer ecspecially. Many times I've found sang by old groundhog hole in the woods. When my grandfather started me out huntin sang many many years ago he would often put me on a deer trail. I often found sang right off the trail. When I'm hunting nowadays and get tired I will often still walk a deer trail to find a few plants.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40180

Archon wrote: Here in New Hampshire all large populations of ginseng are stripped by mice every single year. Probably because of a lack of diversity in the vegetation. Farther South the increase in plant diversity may provide protection for the ginseng. Meaning that with more food sources the mice do not focus exclusively on ginseng.

Leatherwood shrubs also get hit hard. Only takes four days for mice to eat every single leatherwood seed. All that remains is a tiny pile of seed casings.

I understand where you're coming from I forget sometimes that we're all a little different in what we all have to deal with in are environments.

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40181

I went collecting leatherwood seeds this year, knowing that I only had four days. But I had to work three of those days. The fourth day I was exhausted. I stumbled around like a zombie and managed to get 400 seeds. The next day there was nothing left. Season ran from June 20 to June 24.

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40182

what do you do with leatherwood seeds?

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40184

where in NH are you ?

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40186

I hang out in west-central New Hampshire. I study many rare plants, not just ginseng. This is no easy task.

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40220

Chieftain wrote: getting excited for the upcoming season.some of you don't have long to wait.me here I cant start till the 2nd Sat. in sept..

I am almost sure the season starts the first Sat in Sept. according to the DNR website. I don't want you to miss out on a week of hunting. I hear there are some changes coming to the laws like you may have to keep the tops on the roots until you get them home, but I don't know if the changes take effect this year.

anybody.. 6 years 8 months ago #40222

check with the game warden .2yr.s ago they had it wrong on the website..i hope it does start the first..i heard they wanted to make some changes..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 463 guests and no members online

Login