2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: drought

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38815

A whole lot of work but to late to do much good. Any water that was close is dried up n to far to carry buckets. Survival of the fittest. My older plants will come back but I'm wondering f my 1 n 2 yr olds will come back they r way to crispy. I plan on trying to transplant a 100 n put a couple lbs of seed down. I'll keep hoping for rain chance for some tomorrow but not gonna hold my breath.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38816

No sir don't ever hold your breath for something you want to happen . Of course I wouldn't hold mine for anything haha . Was going to say you may benefit from rain barrels or something like that if you ever get any rain at all but the problem with that is it makes your spot known to quick . But if you could hide it then you would be in business . Good luck on your seed planting and transplanting hope that rain does come your way .

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38820

Sorry to hear so many are affected by the drought. Here in Southeast Tennessee, I've seen both strong and weak plants while out scouting this summer, with soil moisture being the primary differentiater. The healthiest plants I've seen are in a ravine where there is some natural seepage from the mountain.

I found a new patch this afternoon of about 3 dozen plants, and all of them but one were on the scrawny side. I'm sure the drought has contributed to growth issues, but it's also possible someone else harvested the larger plants in previous years. But what really has me concerned is the condition of the seeds. The one large and healthy plant I found today was close to water and had a full compliment of healthy seeds that looked like they were about to start turning red. All of the other plants had nothing more than tiny buttons, and it's kinda hard for me to imagine them maturing enough to make good seed between now and September.

It's also a dilemma for me to possibly harvest a mature plant that didn't make seed. This will be only my second year digging sang, and I can already see where the plant is rare enough that every seed possible needs to be planted to ensure ongoing supply into the future.

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38822

Createdman,
Welcome to the forum.

You have made a great observation pertaining to the concern that the plants may not produce seed. You have recognized there will be no seed to plant and to take place of the mother plant if it is dug.

Glad to have someone like yourself practicing good stewardship in the woods to join the forum. Just think how much more ginseng would be out there if everyone expressed that same concern and good stewardship practices.

I too have passed on digging plants without seed to replant in hopes that the following year there would be seeds to plant to replace the mother plant.

If a mother plant is dug and no seeds are planted then it is possible that that area could become void of any surviving ginseng for years to come.

I have found so many spots that \"have it all\". Great soil, companion plants, perfect canopy etc with no ginseng. I always ponder why is there no ginseng. My answer to myself is that someone at some point in history \"Dug it out\" and left nothing.

Anyway thanks and good luck.
Latt

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38823

Thanks Latt. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts, and have certainly learned tons in a short time because of them.

I, too, have found areas that were absolutely lush with every kind of companion plant, but were void of ginseng. Like you, I can only assume that good stewardship has not been exercised over the years, and the end result is that there is nothing left in that location for future generations.

Last fall, I was the beneficiary multiple times of someone planting seeds 10+ years prior. I remember one case where my son-in-law and I had been finding a plant here, a plant there, but all of a sudden stumbled on a dozen large 3 and 4 prongers, all the same age, all within a 5 foot radius. To us, it was the mother lode!

As I was a rookie, it took me a couple days to figure out what I had seen, but it finally occurred to me that someone years before had planted the seeds off of the mother plant, and that a large number of them had made it. We planted a lot of seeds that afternoon, so I can only imagine that whoever comes through years from now will find quite the treasure.

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38824

Createdman,
That's awesome!!!
Latt

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38825

Looks like drought makes the critters hungry. My best location has been decimated by mice already. Over 1,000 berries eaten. Two other locations have been wiped out by both deer and mice. I was hoping for an easy year. Now it looks like it will be a struggle to find any berries at all. Darn it !

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38828

not good...

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38883

Finally getting some much needed rain 1 1/2\" of rain this weekend not a whole lot but much needed more in the forecast

Re:drought 7 years 7 months ago #38887

glad your getting some rain

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 652 guests and no members online

Login