2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37076

Lenno,
A big part of the problem is that most of the ginseng hunters that are selling ginseng don't own the land that they hunt on, I know hundreds of people who hunt ginseng but many of them hunt on other peoples property. They truly have no vested intrest doing anything that may cost them a dollar, all they care about is what they can get for free. If a twenty-something hunter is hunting on grand-ma's land, or uncles land you can pretty much be assured that they don't give a rats ass about saving anything, they are content to just take the free money (ginseng) until it no longer is profitable, and then move on to other free sources of money. Its pretty obvious just by reading thru post on this board that only a handful of us here care about sustaining wild ginseng, its sad really but thats just the way people are.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37080

Ginseng regulations are ridiculous.. This is only an endangered species because of urban sprawl. if it were not for diggers and planters, no one would re- propagate the speices. Hunting ginseng, and other roots is a great pastime for me. No different than going hunting or fishing. The harvest of wild roots, including ginseng, should be a state regulated issue. I would like to know how this got on the \"federal endangered\" list.

I am a dealer in the root, hide, and fur business, and encourage my customers to teach others the art of hunting, trapping, and fishing, and try to help them understand the enjoyment of foraging for roots and herbs. My advice to all root diggers: GIVE BACK AS MUCH AS YOU TAKE! this means dig legal and re-plant. Thanks for reading.

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37095

• Guy
  • Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • BSMGinseng.com
I agree, and if there were more people like you there would not be an issue.

Guy

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37107

Lenno,

I think a large part of it is that people who have been growing for years are afraid to let people know they are growing at all. First is the potential theft issue, and second is that if their dealer cuts them heavily for root he knows they planted (regardless of quality) I can see them being hesitant to acknowledge they grow.

I also think Kduce is right. When I offered to start a grass roots organization of primarily growers but open to diggers/stewards of ginseng, only about 3 dozen people were willing to sign up knowing that their information beyond a screen name was completely confidential (the list has since been destroyed). The catch was that at least initially, the membership in the group was free.

It is rather disheartening because without numbers, the states have no basis by which to challenge the federal rules, or make the laws in the states more favorable for the growers.

I still believe the future of the ginseng market is in the hands of the growers today.

Manley is also correct. When is the last time you heard a young guy or gal talk about going squirrel hunting? Our outdoor traditions and cultures are not being passed on like they used to be.

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37121

It seems like it would be better for everybody if we would all get together( even with the consequences) as to let the government end up closing all ginseng harvests. Surely us growing ginseng would be able to harvest what is ours if it ever comes to that.

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37130

I don't see it happening in the USA as many states now encourage landowners to plant ginseng if they have the right conditions....in fact many state agricultural departments post the information on the internet....what's needed is self control...plant the berries...stop poachers....ginseng can survive and thrive with only one needed regulation...morality.

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37141

Very true wolf

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37150

No sang but weed is cool lol

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37156

Ya, if you are someone without a life! SMH

Re:Illegal to grow ginseng in Ontario Canada 8 years 7 months ago #37162

Guy,
Are you at least allowed to sell seed from all of those plants you have been ordered to leave in the ground even tho you planted them?
Man I have to say I have always been a law abiding citizen. But if I planted seed and had thousands of dollars of my ginseng growing in the ground, I would most likely become a poacher for digging my own ginseng.
Latt

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 160 guests and no members online

Login