2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35734

Yea that's exactly what mine look like did you order seeds from somewhere to get the early strain of plants I'd like to get my hands on some of those a lot of my plants won't turn red until the middle of September

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35735

TN.Ginsenger,
I ordered the seeds from EBay about 10 years ago. There were a few of them that seemed to have the early ripening qualities to them and none that I've ever bought since then have ripened that quickly. I've watched this strain for years and it is always more vigorous and ripens quicker than the others that I have. It grows a full seed pod faster and nicer than all the other plants that I have ever grown. You can plant the berries straight into the ground and it will come up the next year. I've got young ones coming on, but they are not bearing yet.

Hugh

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35736

Hugh Hartsell wrote:

Thanks guys,
I really like pictures to show your progress, from everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing some of yours.
Maya, I hope the apple crop is doing well for you this year and that the injuries are slowly healing. I'm starting to pick a few peaches here. Good luck to you.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, but we have had a horrible spring. In bloom we had two light frost in a row and very windy cold conditions. Then after we set fruit we had a hard frost and around 25-7 degrees. I might have only about 40-50 bushel on some trees that are higher up in the orchards. Very disappointing! My back is better. It still has its moments but better. Thanks!

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35745

Now that's impressive if they'll come up the next year like that also something like that I think would up the survival rate of ginseng be a lot more to go around and a lot less dug out hillsides

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35746

TNginsenger,

I have felt for some time that this strain of ginseng has some desirable qualities for the commercial market. I started making some beds just for the seeds that will ripen in a few weeks and I'll plant them in these beds. I hope to be able to sell these seeds as I build up a bigger supply of them in the near future. I also have some young plants that I planted from these original plants that are 3 years old. I'll probably transplant them into these beds and put wire cages around them to protect.

I planted some of the berries in the mountains last year and I found some of them up a couple of days ago. It's kind of odd to see berries planted in the Fall popping up the next Spring. I'll show you what those big berry pods look like in a few weeks as they ripen.

Hugh

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35747

Well let me know when they come up for sale I've got to get my hands of some of these lol

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35762

Hugh, my wife and I are going to go down there next year to look around for a possible retirement spot, where abouts are you? Maybe we can stop by and say hi.

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35763

Maya,

That sounds interesting. I am located in Morristown, Tn. That is almost in the center of the Valley and we're right on Cherokee Lake. Twenty-five miles to the South of us is Pigeon Forge and then Gatlinburg. Beautiful country! Just 6-8 miles to the North of us are the Clinch Mountains and just beyond that is the edge of the Cumberland Mountains. That is almost in the state of Kentucky and it's where Billy Taylor lives. My original home place is 18 miles to the Southeast and then you're in the Cherokee National Forest or the Great Smoky Mountains. All of this country is beautiful. There are so many lakes and rivers within an hours drive that you will loose count.
If you do get a chance to come down, be sure to call and stop in. I can show you some great spots to consider if you're looking for a place to settle down. We'll talk apples and ginseng and maybe a fish or two.

Hugh

Re:Just pictures, for those who like to look at ginseng 8 years 10 months ago #35767

awesome plants Hugh. You should be proud. You've been mentioning early ripers, I too planted some berries last fall from the mtns. and they came up this spring! I only wish I knew what mtn I dug them from! LOL! Have a gr8 season. Come down to Tn. Maya u won't b disappointed!!!

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 527 guests and no members online

Login