2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: certifyied organic herbs

certifyied organic herbs 8 years 10 months ago #35250

I was wondering if anyone could explain the differnce between regular wild herbs and organic wild herbs one of my buyers is considering going into organic,s and i would like to know more about them if anyone has knowledge and wants to pass it along. thanks in advance guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:certifyied organic herbs 8 years 10 months ago #35251

I checked into it and in my opinion it is mostly a cash grab.

You 'certify' certain things required by the certifying organization (normally private for profit company) they look over your answers to see if you complied with their guidelines and only used things as they approve (materials and methods). You pay them a bunch of money and they give you an organic certification.

Normally this is worth more...and more and more some companies -especially the domestic herbal markets- are requiring organic certification to consider your product.

I had a buyer who was considering going organic with some of the rootlets I was to supply. However, I had to supply organic rootlets for that to work. The cost to me would have started at over $800/year.

Look around the web...there is a ton of info out there.

Re:certifyied organic herbs 8 years 10 months ago #35266

thanks for the reply i thought there would be some kind of catch in order to get the higher prices

Re:certifyied organic herbs 8 years 10 months ago #35271

i have a friend who grows organic vegetables. he says cost about 5k a year to stay certified organic. he has a company audit him and they accredit his products certified organic.

Re:certifyied organic herbs 8 years 10 months ago #35316

Leebros, the guys are spot on. In order to be able to afford to be certified, you better be able to produce mass volume of a product. My wife and I have a farm in Florida. We use all natural methods of production, no chemicals. We were considering the organic certification, until we found out it would run about 5 grand a year. For a small scale farm, raising children and no government freebies, we decided no way. Thats a hard hit every year. Now, yes, you do fetch higher prices on your product, you just have to produce a lot. Organics is the wave of the future. Steady increases in demand, not enough supply for demand, monsanto reporting losses etc. The question is, how much can you produce?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 399 guests and no members online

Login